The Centre for Women’s Studies and Gender Research, established in 1987, at Monash University brings together expertise in feminist social sciences and humanities research.
The Centre fosters research and teaching collaborations that address women’s equity and produce knowledge about women’s lives and status in society, and the dilemmas and contradictions in gender relations, gender equality outcomes and sexualities in all societies. The gender studies stream within the Sociology teaching program, and the collaborative research activities of the Centre are all informed by the belief that all social processes are ‘gendered’, and that feminist analysis and knowledge is crucial in understanding social processes, power and participation.
- The increasing regularity of fatal violence against women – 63 deaths so far this year –combined with harrowing tales from the Victorian Royal Commission, and Read more
- The Universities of Monash and Warwick have a cross University Alliance, supporting staff and student exchange and innovative international research programs. The Centre for Women’s Read more
- “Here and There: Everyday Life Narratives of Migrant Women from Turkey Living in Melbourne” 4 March ACMIThe digital stories that were produced in three workshops facilitated by Burcu Şimşek in the scope of the “Here and There: Everyday Life Narratives of Read more
- Fay Gale Lecture video: “Winning the War on War, But Losing the Battle: A Feminist Perspective on Global Violence”The 2014 Fay Gale Lecture, presented by the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia, in conjunction with Monash University, was delivered by Professor Jacqui True on “Winning Read more
- By Sara Davies and Jacqui True At the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict in London this week a number of myths about sexual violence have been debated and dispelled. Read more
- Nineteenth-Century Female Poisoners Three English Women Who Used Arsenic to Kill Nineteenth-Century Female Poisoners investigates the Essex poisoning trials of 1846 to 1851 where three women were charged Read more
- Responsibility KEYNOTE SPEAKER Professor Sara Ahmed Goldsmiths College, United Kingdom Willful Subjects: Responsibility, Fragility, History Conference Information The 2014 Conference was hosted by the Centre for Women’s Studies & Gender Research in Sociology, Monash University; Read more