The Centre for Women’s Studies and Gender Research, established in 1987, at Monash University brings together expertise in feminist social sciences and humanities research.
The Centre fosters research and teaching collaborations that address women’s equity and produce knowledge about women’s lives and status in society, and the dilemmas and contradictions in gender relations, gender equality outcomes and sexualities in all societies. The gender studies stream within the Sociology teaching program, and the collaborative research activities of the Centre are all informed by the belief that all social processes are ‘gendered’, and that feminist analysis and knowledge is crucial in understanding social processes, power and participation.
- Centre for Women’s Studies & Gender Research Annual Public Lecture 2016 Professor Sandra Walklate, University of Liverpool & Monash University Professor Elizabeth Sheehy, University of Ottawa Professor Jude ... Read more
- Towards Women’s Security: Local and Global 3 December 2015 In the early decades of the 21st Century, the persistence of violence against women in all its forms ... Read more
- The Universities of Monash and Warwick have a cross University Alliance, supporting staff and student exchange and innovative international research programs. The Centre for Women’s ... Read more
- Nineteenth-Century Female Poisoners Three English Women Who Used Arsenic to Kill Nineteenth-Century Female Poisoners investigates the Essex poisoning trials of 1846 to 1851 where three women were charged ... Read more
- Responsibility KEYNOTE SPEAKER Professor Sara Ahmed Goldsmiths College, United Kingdom Willful Subjects: Responsibility, Fragility, History Conference Information The 2014 Conference was hosted by the Centre for Women’s Studies & Gender Research in Sociology, Monash University; ... Read more
- Consuming Families: Buying, making, producing family life in the 21st century (Routledge 2013) This book is just published by Associate Professors Jo Lindsay and JaneMaree Maher, drawing on a decade ... Read more
- Across Sociology and the School of Social Sciences, research postgraduate students (Masters and PhD) are researching a range of key contemporary gender issues. There is ... Read more
- Dr Karolyne Quinn (Women’s Studies PhD 2011) has been awarded the Mollie Holman Medal for the Faculty of Arts. The Mollie Holman Medal recognises excellence ... Read more