The Sir John Monash Medal for Outstanding Achievement is awarded to final year undergraduate students with excellent academic records who have also demonstrated a significant commitment, while at Monash, to advancing the University’s goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment.
Benefits and number of awards
One Sir John Monash Medal is awarded to an Arts Faculty student per year. The medal will be proclaimed at the student’s graduation ceremony. The award will also be included on official University transcripts.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must be in the final year of their undergraduate degree and qualify for the award of Bachelor/Honours at the end of semester two examinations.
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must have a minimum of an overall average grade of Credit.
- Recipients must also be seen to have demonstrated a significant commitment, while at Monash, to advancing the University’s goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment (community service, sports, performance, etc)
- No student who has failed a unit is eligible for this award, except under exceptional circumstances.
- Former winners of the Sir John Monash medal are not eligible to apply.
- A student will be considered for the medal only by the faculty in which they are enrolled. In the case of a student enrolled in a double or combined degree, only the managing (enrolling) faculty should consider the student for an award.
Nomination and selection process
A nomination can be made by the student, a fellow student, any Monash staff member, or any member of the community by completing the nomination form below.
The nomination must include a letter explaining the reason for the nomination, any supporting evidence which could be of use to the selection committee and permission from the student to have his or her records released to the selection committee.
- The selection committee, comprising the Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning), Group Manager, Academic and Student Services and Faculty Transition Coordinator, will determine the student to be awarded the Sir John Monash Medal at the end of the academic year.
The Dean Sessional Commendations (Staff) – Call for Nominations Semester 2, 2016 Now Open
The Dean’s Sessional Commendations are intended to recongnise and support the work done by our sessional teaching staff in the Faculty …
The Dean’s Award for Exceptional Performance by Professional Staff
The Dean’s Award for Exceptional Performance by Professional Staff Member is offered by the Dean annually in recognition of exceptional …
The Faculty of Arts Teaching and Learning Awards and Citations (Staff)
The Faculty of Arts recognises outstanding teaching achievements by offering Teaching and Learning Awards and Citations. Staff can apply for …
The Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence (Staff)
The Vice-Chancellor’s Awards are awarded to acknowledge excellence in teaching/ research/performance by Monash staff. The Vice-Chancellor’s …
The Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Exceptional Performance by Professional Staff
The Vice-Chancellor offers annual awards in recognition of exceptional performance by members of professional staff which are equivalent to the …
Recognition of Excellence Policy (Student)
For information on the Recognition of Excellence Policy…
Dean’s Sessional Commendations Faculty Award for Programs that Enhance Learning Faculty Awards for Teaching Excellence … Continue reading Award Winners