Jazz Performance Program Description:
This unit allows students to undertake a 2 week course of music study at New York University (NYU) studying with School of Music staff from Monash and NYU with regular workshops from visiting artists. This unit combines cutting-edge jazz education with master classes and workshops by the finest jazz musicians in New York City. This two-week unit offers courses covering a wide range of subjects and a diverse ensemble program. Along with NYU and Monash staff, the workshops will include daily interaction with jazz musicians from around the world, making this a unique opportunity that could only be offered in Greenwich Village, the mecca for jazz.
Music technology in New York
Music Technology Program Description:
This 2 week unit, utilising the state of the art facilities at New York University (NYU), focuses on all of aspects of contemporary music production with an emphasis in the art and science of the tools and techniques of the field. To broaden the scope of young producers, several supplemental topics will also be discussed such as sound effects editing, experimental music and the latest research in music technology. The unit will also run in parallel with (Monash) Jazz in NY and include the recording of jazz ensembles in the Dolan Recording Studios at NYU.
Greenwich Village, New York, United States of America
Pre-departure session: 24 May 2016, 13.00-14.00pm
Overseas study tour: 10 – 23 July 2016
- Tuition fees: Monash students will be charged either full-fees or Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) fees according to their verified funding status. All students should consult the University’s fees webpage for further information.
- Application fee: $400 (paid online via Monash ecart)
- Study tour package fee: $3150 (includes travel during the study tour, accommodation, site entrance fees, all organised networking events, and some meals, paid online via Monash ecart)
- Visa fees: Students attending overseas programs are required to organise their own visas. It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the USA’s visa requirements. Please note that due to the nature of the overseas program, the visa fee for this program will be approximately $700. You are also required to cover any costs associated with obtaining a visa and passport.*
- Additional costs: You are expected to arrange your own international return airfares between Melbourne and New York.* You should also bring sufficient spending money.
* You should not book your flights or organise your visa until after we have endorsed your application and also confirmed that we have reached the required minimum of students to be able to go ahead with the program.
We also advise you to carefully read the refund policy.
Funding and financial assistance:
Monash Abroad travel scholarship
Other scholarships and bursaries
Loans (including the OS-HELP loan)
Applications open: 12 February 2015
Applications close: 31 March 2016 (or earlier if quota is reached)
How to apply:
Current Monash students:
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete the ISP Application Form – Jazz in New York. Please note that the “Faculty program coordinator declaration” on page 2 will be completed by the Arts Outbound Programs office after you have submitted your application.
- Provide a front page only copy of your Australian bank details showing bank name, BSB, account name and account number. This is for the purpose of depositing the Monash Abroad Travel Scholarship into your account before the program start date.
- Attach a copy of your OS-HELP loan application form (optional).
- Complete and attach the application checklist.
- Submit your complete application either electronically to the Outbound Student Programs Coordinator or in person to Arts Student Services (Clayton: Level 2, Menzies Building, 20 Chancellors Walk; Caulfield: Room H5.102, Level 5, Building H) by the closing date. If you are submitting your application form electronically, make sure to send it from your Monash student email account.
If you are not a Monash student, check the application process.
Applications will be assessed based on the eligibility criteria in the order in which they are submitted on a “first in, first served” basis until the maximum quota is reached. You will receive an email from the Arts Outbound Programs office notifying you of the outcome of your application (allow approximately six weeks for processing). Successful applications will then be forwarded to Monash Abroad for processing of the Travel Scholarship, OS-HELP loan (if applicable) and complimentary travel insurance.