The newly established Sociologists @ Monash Research Network links sociologists across Schools, Faculties and Campuses at Monash University.
For further information or to join the network please contact Dr Helen Forbes-Mewett, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2014 Seminar Series
Thursday 27 February, 1-2pm
The trials, tribulations and triumphs of ARC grant writing!
Thursday 30 March, 1-2pm
Living to eat or eating to live: The impact of total gastrectomy upon experiences of hunger
Thursday 11 September, 1-2pm
Why we are successfully Multicultural, or How Australia is not Europe
Thursday 18 September, 12-1pm
Bodies in Public Places
- Victoria Police have shown great interest in Helen Forbes-Mewett’s research for the purposes of informing their Multicultural Unit on issues affecting international students and others from diverse cultural backgrounds. The focus of her ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship on International Students and Crime has revealed new insights into the problem. Primarily, the overwhelming media driven perception that Read more
- Helen Forbes-Mewett has been interviewed by SBS World News about efforts by the NSW police to create stronger policies and programs to work with multicultural communities, including international students. For more information see the SBS World News website. Read more
- In a recent piece in The Conversation, Dr Catherine Strong, Lecturer in Sociology and expert on cultural memory, gender and popular music, writes about the ongoing legacy of Kurt Cobain, lead singer of 90s grunge band Nirvana. See the full article from The Conversation here. Read more
- Dr Helen Forbes-Mewett’s research focusing on international student safety and security has been featured in the Study Travel Magazine. Based in the UK, the publication is distributed to 32,000 international education agents in 125 countries. More information about Dr Forbes-Mewett’s research is available on her website: http://profiles.arts.monash.edu.au/helen-forbes-mewett Read more
- On May 29, 2013 we celebrated over 50 years of Sociology at Monash at Taste Baguette in the Menzies Building. It was a wonderful opportunity for current staff and students to come together with previous staff and students, members of the Sociologists at Monash research network and colleagues from Political and Social Inquiry. The Dean Read more