There are many advantages in doing Honours in Sociology: you can extend and deepen your knowledge of the discipline, develop research and critical thinking skills, and undertake a research project in an area of your choice.
Monash offers one of the largest and most dynamic Sociology programs in Australia. Our department is ranked among the worlds’ best for its research (QS university ranking). Sociologists are at the frontiers of knowledge about human society: we explore new and emerging social trends and practices, and we tackle global challenges confronting society.
In the last few years, Honours students in Sociology have explored topics such as:
- Generation Y attitudes to domestic labour
- ethnic identity amongst third generation young Turkish men
- digital music listening and social connection
- attitudes of young people toward relationships
- feminism and the Slutwalk movement
- young men and masculinities
- Pasifika youth belonging
- The Keepcup and sustainable consumption
- youth drinking cultures
- the wellbeing of young people from refugee backgrounds
- social-network site photos and the self
- young women, normalising thinness and diet pills
- young men’s online identity construction
- the social patterns of marriage attitudes in contemporary Australia.
An Honours degree is very attractive to potential employers. Recent Sociology Honours graduates have found work as social researchers in both academia and industry (for example, at the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute), been accepted into the Victorian and Federal public service, or enrolled in our higher degree programs. Upon successful completion of Honours, you may be eligible to apply for further study towards a Masters or PhD.
- Information on applications, deadlines, and course structure
- Sociology staff areas of supervision and expertise
School of Social Sciences Honours Information Session
|Wednesday 24 September from 2.00-3.30pm
East Banquet Room – First floor of the Campus Centre
|Light Refreshments will be served while we discuss the most exciting 4th year options available to you at Monash University
Entrance between Boost Juice and ANZ ATM at rear of Campus Centre; follow signs to East Banquet Room on first floor
Sociology & Gender Studies Honours Coordinator
Dr Amy Shields Dobson: email@example.com