Slavic Studies engages with research into Russian and other Slavic literatures, post-Soviet and post-Yugoslav studies, Russian and Slavic socio-linguistics and Russian, Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian topics in Translation Studies.
Admission into Slavic Honours, or Slavic MA by Research, or MA by Course Work and 66% Research or a Slavic PhD requires prior knowledge of a Slavic language or, in the case of specialisation in Comparative Literature and Critical Theory topics, prior study in these areas.
Current and recent research areas in Slavic Studies, which reflect postgraduate research as well as staff research, are the following:
- Poetics of Realism: L N Tolstoy, F M Dostoevsky in the context of Dickens and Flaubert
- Drama: Chekhov and “intimate theatre”, “theatre of cruelty” (Artaud) and “absurd theatre” (Beckett)
- Dialogicity (M Bakhtin, M Mamardashvili)
- Slavic cinema: avant-garde and post-perestroika
- Post-communist popular culture: the Russian detektiv novel, Slovak TV soaps and rock bands
- Russian and Slavic socio-linguistics
Slavic Studies – Disciplines
- Post-Yugoslav Literatures and Cultures Slavic Studies maintains strong research links with the literatures, languages and cultures of former Yugoslavia: Staff: Associate Professor Vladiv-Glover’s monographs Lyrical Drama in ... Read more
- Report on Special Section “Socialist Realism and Nationalism in Music, Literature and Film” Convenor: Slobodanka Vladiv-Glover (Slavic Studies, Monash U) The 11th Biennial Conference of the Australasian Association ... Read more
- “The Serbian ‘nation’ in Miloš Crnjanski’s Trilogy Migrations (1928-1966)”Public Lecture by Slobodanka Vladiv-Glover21 April 2013 7pm Club Novi Sad Ross House, Level 3, 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne 3000 Predavanje Lecture Slobodanka Vladiv-Glover Profesor slavistike i komparativne književnosti Monash University Problem srpskog “naciona” u trilogiji Seobe Miloša ... Read more
- Honours Enquiries Ms. Catherine JosephRoom S427, +61 3 9905 2280Catherine.Joseph@monash.edu General Enquiries Phone: Jocelyne Mohamudally: +61 3 9905 2223 Fax: +61 3 990 55437 Email: Arts-LCL-Enquiries@monash.edu General Office:Room S430Building 11 (Menzies Building)Clayton Campus Post: School of Languages, ... Read more
- 世 界 文 学 研 究 所 Institute of World Literature School of Foreign Languages, Peking University, Beijing, 100871, P. R. China In collaboration with Zhao Baisheng, Professor ... Read more