I would like to welcome all members and supporters of the South Asian Studies Association of Australia (SASA) to our new website. We encourage you all to send us items of news, forthcoming events, and achievements so that the SASA website fully reflects the extent of commitment to scholarly research on South Asia in Australia.
We also look forward to hearing your views about the kinds of activities that SASA might undertake in order to promote the growth and diversity of our association. Please do not hesitate to write to me or any of our office bearers so that we can share your news with the other members.
Australian perspectives on, and attitudes towards, South Asia have matured in the last decade and reflect amongst other things our extensive engagement with the trade, security, social, intellectual and cultural issues that bind us. I would also like to draw our members’ attention to our definition of South Asia which includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, the Himalayan States, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. This geographical spread alone makes the brief of SASA a very large one, covering a region of over 1.5 billion people and all the major religions of the world.
We look forward to meeting viewers of this website at future events and receiving news by email in the meantime.
Professor Emerita Marika Vicziany
Monash Asia Institute
Monash University, Building H, Level 5,
P.O. Box 197, Caulfield East 3145
- Asian Studies Association of Australia Biennial Conference Australian National University, Canberra, July 5-7, 2016. The conference organisers invite submission of proposals for panels and individual papers from Read more
- Announcement: CFP, Sustainable Environments in 21st Century India, Massey University, NZ, 1-2 April 2016Sustainable environments in 21st century India. Conference Massey University, NZ, 1-2 April 2016 The New Zealand India Research Institute is organizing a conference at Massey University, Read more
- Target IS or Syria? EU, Russia & the US and the War Against IS On 30 September 2015 Russian Air Space Forces commenced intensive bombing campaign in Read more
- Institute of Knowledge Societies, Centurion University of Technology and Management, Odisha, India and Institute of Koorie Education, Deakin University, Australia Call for papers An international conference on Narrativising Indigeneity – Read more
- Conference The 21st New Zealand Asian Studies Society (NZASIA) International Conference 2015 University of Canterbury, 29 November – 1 December 2015 Asian Intersections: Identities and Linkages Asia has Read more