Monash University’s Faculty of Arts, which consists of Humanities, Social and Environmental Sciences, is a world class leader in several disciplines and a leading Faculty of Arts in Australia.
Four ‘problem-based’ strategic research priorities reflect cross cutting Faculty themes of cultural diversity, gender, governance, health and wellbeing, and ethics.
- Professor Ana Deletic (Associate Dean of Research in Engineering) and Professor Jacqui True (Associate Dean of Research in Arts) were delighted to welcome over 50 research leaders from the two Faculties to an Affinity Workshop on Wednesday 25th February. The workshop was held at the Japanese Studies Centre on Monash University’s Clayton campus and featured presentations Read more
- Recent autism research from Professor Jakob Hohwy’s Cognition & Philosophy Lab in the Department of Philosophy has been published in the prestigious journal Proceedings of the Royal Society: Biological Sciences B. The experiment was conducted by PhD student Colin Palmer, who tested recent computational theories of sensory processing in autism. The study demonstrates differences in how individuals with autism Read more
- The Centre for Human Bioethics in the Faculty of Arts has been designated as a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre for Bioethics. In this role, the centre will support WHO in awareness-raising and capacity-building activities in ethics and health, provide technical assistance to member states, and collaborate with WHO on ethical and policy issues associated with infectious Read more
- On Monday 18 August the Faculty of Arts hosted a workshop featuring a presentation by Professor Denise Meredyth, the Executive Director Humanities and Creative Arts at the Australian Research Council (ARC). Prof Meredyth spoke about current funding changes affecting the ARC, such as those outlined in the 2014 federal budget, how the ARC is reviewing the Read more
- Advance your organisation’s goals and contribute towards your future success by joining with us to advance research excellence in the humanities and social sciences. Recent Australian Research Council (ARC) funding success at the Monash Arts Faculty demonstrates the excellence in collaborative research opportunities supported by our University. Research success by the Monash Arts Faculty The Monash University Arts Read more
- The ABC has commissioned a new television documentary adaptation of Dr Tony Moore’s Death or Liberty: rebels and radicals transported to Australia. Death or Liberty is the first narrative history that brings together the stories of the political prisoners sent as convicts to Australia from all over Britain and her vast Empire, spanning the early days of Read more
- Professor Lynette Russell, Deputy Associate Dean Research, Faculty of Arts, as chair, was delighted to welcome the 70 research leaders from the five Faculties who attended the Forum on the UN Sustainable Development Goals on Wednesday, 13 November. The Forum was held at the Japanese Studies Centre on Monash University’s Clayton campus and featured presentations by Read more
- The ARC have released the results for last round! Congratulations to all applicants whose research projects have been successfully funded in this round. The success rate for Discovery Project applications in the Faculty of Arts was 32.25%, DECRA 11.8% and for FT 10%. Overall national success rates for these schemes were 19.9%, 13.6% and 16.29% respectively. In total Read more
- Monash academics from three schools and centres in the Arts and Education faculties participated in a public research roundtable with three visiting Chinese scholars at the Chinese Museum on the evening of 16 October. They are the inaugural recipients of a fellowship offered by the China-Australia Research Network (CARN), a project of the National Centre Read more
- The National Centre for Australian Studies (NCAS) will host the inaugural Chinese-Australian Studies Visiting Fellowships recipients during October. Three Chinese scholars of Australian Studies will be taking up these fellowships with NCAS as part of the Australia-China Council funded project, China-Australia Research Network (CARN). The 2013 Fellows are Dr Hong Chen from East China Normal University, Dr Qinghong Read more
- Associate Professor Chandani Lokuge of the School of English, Communications and Performance Studies has received an award for her latest novel. At a ceremony at Sri Lanka Foundation Auditorium in Colombo, Sri Lanka on 11 September, Associate Professor Lokuge’s novel Softly, As I Leave You was awarded the 2013 Godage National Literary Award for Best Novel. Softly, Read more
- Associate Professor Renata Kokanovic, Monash Fellow and sociologist of health and illness, is the latest Faculty of Arts researcher to meet with ARC success. The recipient of a Linkage Project grant, she will lead the project ‘Options for supported decision-making to enhance the recovery of people with severe mental health problems’. This project will examine Read more
- The Faculty of Arts has seen outstanding results in the most recent round of ARC funding: rewarding our commitment to research excellence. We are involved in: 12 successful ARC Discovery Projects, of which four were successful Discovery Outstanding Researcher Award (DORA) applications (with only 37 DORAs awarded nationally this is a remarkable achievement) 3 successful Discovery Early Career Read more
- Three members of the Faculty of Arts have received Future Fellowships from the Australian Research Council (ARC) in the latest round: Associate Professor Suzanne Fraser, Dr Catherine Mills, and Dr Alison Ross. The Future Fellowships scheme attracts and retains the finest mid-career researchers to work on the big issues confronting the nation, across all areas of academic endeavour. The Read more