The Faculty of Arts offers an award for supervisors to reward excellence in research and research training. The successful awardee for the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Higher Degree by Research Supervision will receive a prize of $3,500 and will be invited to contribute to research training events.
- Staff holding 0.5 or above appointments who are actively involved in the supervision of Higher Degree by Research candidates and who have supervised at least 3 Higher Degree by Research theses (either Masters or PhDs) to completion during the last five years as main or joint supervisor (with the minimum supervisory load being 49%)
- Early Career Supervisors (those staff with no more than 5 years experience as a supervisor) should hold a 0.5 or above appointment and need to have supervised at least 1 Higher Degree by Research thesis (either Masters or PhD) to completion as main or joint supervisor during the last five years (with the minimum supervisory load being 49%)
Nominations must be made jointly by two or more individuals:
- who are members of the academic staff of the Faculty,
- currently enrolled postgraduate research students or
- recently graduated higher degree candidates (no more than two years since completion at the time the nomination is made).
To ensure eligibility, postgraduate research candidates must consult with their Program Co-ordinator prior to nominating their supervisor.
Nomination must include a brief nomination folio of no more than 6 A4 pages. The folio may contain 2-3 one page testimonials from nominators or others supporting the nomination (either colleagues or postgraduate researchers) and a 1-page statement of endorsement from the relevant Program Director.
In considering nominations, the selection panel will pay particular attention to the achievements of early career research supervisors (i.e. staff who have no more than 5 years experience as a supervisor at Monash).
Nominators and others wishing to support the nomination should address and/or demonstrate the performance of the nominated supervisor in relation to each of the following criteria, according to their experience and relationship with the nominee:
- track record of research supervision to include candidature duration to completion and attritions’ record
- evidence of accessibility and availability to research candidates
- evidence of best possible practice in swift turnaround of candidates’ written work with appropriate critical comment
- academic quality of research training as demonstrated through timely completions, distinctions for candidates, publications of candidates, conference activity of candidates, examiners’reports of theses
- commitment to critically aware and reflective practice in research supervision
- commitment to fostering a supportive and productive graduate research culture in their School through activities such as facilitation of reading groups, writing syndicates, cohort support, and other cognate activities
- commitment to professional development and/or research and scholarship in the field of graduate research pedagogy as evidenced by participation in conferences, professional development activities and/or research and publication in the field
The nomination form and folio together must be submitted to the Arts Research Graduate School by 5pm on Friday, 9 December 2016.