Prospective Master’s by research and PhD candidates are required to submit a research proposal with their application.
In order to assess your proposal and identify a suitable supervisory team, the Faculty of Arts would like you to submit a research proposal of three or more pages in length addressing as many of the questions listed below as possible.
Proposed title of project:
Description of proposed project:
- What is the topic area?
- What motivated your interest in this particular area?
- What field or fields of knowledge does it engage with?
- What are the key questions you wish to explore?
- What are the aims of this project?
- What works or materials will be involved (e.g. texts, interview data etc.)?
- What methodologies are involved (e.g. discourse analysis, textual analysis, interviewing etc)?
- What key thinkers or critical works are important for this topic?
- How would you characterise the contribution to knowledge (e.g. filling a gap in the field, revising existing understandings etc)?
- What do you see as the outcomes of this research?
This will demonstrate that you have done a preliminary search of the literature currently available in your proposed research area.