Travel Grants

At some point in your graduate research candidature, you will almost certainly be given the chance to meet with experts and leading thinkers in your field. Students can apply to study away from the University in order to interact and engage with such experts, undertake data collection, attend conferences, pursue research in archives, undertake field trips, surveys and interviews and to access equipment and/or resources not available at Monash University.

Before Booking Travel

  1. Discuss intentions to travel away from Monash University with your supervisor
  2. Check Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) travel advisories for international travel
  3. Speak with your Program Administrator about the application process
  4. All applications must be lodged at least 4 weeks in advance of the expected travel date. Retrospective applications will not be considered by Monash Graduate Education.

How to Book Travel

  1. Graduate research students are encouraged to make international travel bookings through one of Monash University’s two preferred travel management companies (Campus Travel or Voyager).
  2. Complete a hard copy Staff/HDR International Travel Plan (international travel only) and attach it with your Study Away/Travel Grant application when you submit it to your Program Administrator.
  3. Print the travel insurance emergency ecard (international travel only) – All Monash staff and graduate research students are automatically covered by the Monash University general insurance policy for up to 365 days when travelling on Monash approved activity by the University’s travel insurance policy with Accident Health Insurance (AHI).
  4. Complete a Study Away/Travel Grant form
  • Travel Grant
    The travel grant assists with travelling expenses of graduate research students who are on approved study away from the University. Travel expenses include airfares and train fares but do not include items such as visas, travel insurance, conference registration or accommodation.
  • Study Away
    Graduate Research students are required to obtain permission to “Study Away” when travelling interstate for longer than six (6) weeks OR overseas for their research or university work.
  1. Email the Monash Study Away/Travel Grant application to your Program Administrator
  • Please ensure that you and your supervisor have signed all forms and attached required supporting documents before submitting them to your Program administrator
  • Supporting documentation includes conference registration, evidence of acceptance of conference presentation, acceptance to work in an overseas archive etc. The forms will then be endorsed and signed by the Program Director and the Faculty of Arts Associate Dean Graduate Research, before being submitted to Monash Graduate Education.