Financial, Visa, and Insurance information


Program application fee

All students are required to pay a program application fee prior to submitting their application form. Students must include a copy of the receipt of payment with their application form.

All application fees must be paid via the Monash University e-cart:
Pay program application fee.

If students are not successful in their application, the application fee will be refunded. Read the full refund policy.

Tuition fees

Monash University students will be charged either full-fees or Commonwealth supported place (CSP) fees according to their verified funding status.

Non-Monash students should contact the Arts in Prato Coordinator for further information on tuition fees. Contact Arts in Prato

Other expenses

For programs which are conducted at Prato only, costs for students are: application fee, accommodation (arranged through Monash after enrolment), meals, flights and spending money.

For field trip or tour programs, costs for students are outlined in the Programs and dates information table (scroll down to the program you are interested in and select the link), and are generally inclusive of most meals, accommodation, internal transport, museum entry, etc.. For more detail, please contact the unit coordinator (also listed in the Programs and Dates table).

Refund policy

Read the Faculty refund policy for Arts International Study Programs including Prato units.

Funding (Monash students only)

Monash Abroad funding

Most Monash students who participate in short-term international study programs receive the Monash Abroad Travel Scholarship from the University. Some are also eligible for a range of other loans, scholarships and grants.

For further information, please visit the Monash Abroad website.

Monash Abroad will directly deposit the money into your bank account within a month of the program start date.

Financial assistance (Monash students only)

University financial assistance

The University can provide student loans through Financial Assistance. The loan must be paid back by the time of graduation and carries no interest for the first 12 months.

OS-HELP loan

Only available for undergraduate students.

Students may also wish to use OS-HELP introduced by the government, where they may be eligible for financial assistance in the form of a loan towards a Prato study program.

For more information and how to apply, see OS-HELP loans. Please ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements including the conditions of the loan before applying.

Centrelink letters

Prato programs are Monash University units and therefore full-time students may continue to receive Centrelink payments.

Verification of enrolment letters for Centrelink purposes can be ordered by completing the Application for student letter. Alternatively, students can contact Monash Connect directly on +61 3 9902 6011.


Students attending programs at the Prato Centre in Italy are required to organise their own visas. The Monash Prato Centre website provides guidance on visa requirements.

If you require a visa, it is important to note that although it says on the Italian Consulate website that it can take up to two weeks to process a visa application, students have found that it can take longer. It is therefore recommended that students make their appointment with the Italian Consulate as soon as they know their travel dates (after confirmation of approval and enrolment).

Important visa information

  1. In Italy, not maintaining ‘correct immigration status’ is a criminal offence, this includes overstaying a permitted 90 days in the Schengen area*.
  2. If detected, overstaying visitors may be liable for a fine of up to $10,000 Euros, and up to a 10-year exclusion from the Schengen area.
  3. Students who are eligible for 90 day visa-free entry to the Schengen area (this would include most Australians, unless they have any prior immigration or criminal offences) should insist on having their passport stamped on entry to the Schengen area. Not having a stamp may be an issue if detected upon departure from the Schengen area at passport control, and in the worst case scenario, illegal entry could be assumed.
  4. Students in any doubt about the correct visa they need should check either with the Italian Consulate in Melbourne or the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  5. There is an additional step required when in Italy; to ‘declare presence’ within 8 days of arrival. The Prato Centre website gives further details about this and the Centre staff will give further details in arrival briefings.
  6. After reading the Visa and Consular Information, please be aware that it is the student’s responsibility to book an appointment at the Italian consulate to apply for a visa (if required). This is not the responsibility of Monash Abroad or the Faculty of Arts.

*The Schengen area includes: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Travel insurance

All students must obtain travel insurance when travelling overseas to Prato.

Travel insurance information – Monash undergraduate students

Monash undergraduate students are eligible for complimentary travel insurance through Monash University. Once the Monash Abroad International Study Program (ISP) application form has been processed, students will receive insurance details and a certificate via email from Monash Abroad.

Further information: Complimentary travel insurance

Travel insurance information – Monash postgraduate students

All postgraduate research and coursework students are covered by the Monash University Business Travel Insurance.

For more information, including how to get coverage, please visit the Business Travel Insurance homepage

Travel insurance information – Exchange partner students

Please ensure you have travel insurance before travelling to Prato. You may wish to discuss this with your home institution.

Register your trip

Students travelling to Prato are encouraged to register with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade before travel. The registration information provided by you will help in an emergency – whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family emergency.

Proceed to registration link.