Monash University’s Politics and International Relations Program, in conjunction with the Parliamentary Library of the Parliament of Victoria, the University of Melbourne and Victoria University offers students the opportunity to undertake a parliamentary internship with academic credit towards their degree.
The semester-length, 12 point unit provides students with the unique experience of working under the joint supervision of a member of the Politics and International Relations Program, Associate-Professor Paul Strangio, and a member of the Victorian Parliament.
They will be required to attend induction and research seminars at Parliament House, to keep a journal, write a reflective essay, and submit a major research report on a public policy issue which, after assessment, will be housed in the State Parliamentary Library.
The subject is specifically designed to:
- acquaint students with the structures and processes of contemporary state government;
- acquaint students with the nature of public policy research and reporting.
The subject is restricted to students who are majoring in Politics and preferably in the third year of study for their degree. Places are strictly limited and selection will be based primarily on academic merit.
Applications are closed for the 2015 intake, students will be advised when applications for the 2016 intake are open.
- Nick Staikos’ journey from politics student to Parliament highlights the practical utility of the many opportunities offered at Monash University. Before graduating from Monash Read more
- In an era of privatisation, reform and regulation, 2000 Monash University graduate Philip Dalidakis had an ardent interest in the political process. Already invested in the Read more
- Victoria’s Premier-elect, Daniel Andrews, is yet another graduate of the Monash Politics program to be elected to a leadership role. Andrews completed a Politics major Read more
- Did you complete an Internship at the Victorian Parliament during your undergraduate degree? The Parliament of Victoria is proud to mark the 25th Anniversary of the Read more