Monash Philosophy has particular strengths in ancient Greco-Roman philosophy, Indian philosophy, early modern philosophy, and in the philosophical and political writings of European women.
Recent research grants:
- Proclus’ Republic Commentary: the first English translation. Dirk Baltzly and David Pass (post-doc). ARC Discovery Project 2012-14.
- Plato’s Myth Voice: the identification and interpretation of ‘inspired speech’ in Plato. Rick Benitez and Julia Kindt (Sydney), Dirk Baltzly (Monash), et al. ARC Discovery Project 2012-14.
- Academies Under Stress: the re-invention and survival of the Platonic schools 360BC-565CE. Harold Tarrant (Newcastle), Dirk Baltzly (Monash), Rick Benetiz (Sydney) et al. ARC Discovery Project 2009-11.
- A History of Women’s Political Thought in Europe 1700 1800. Karen Green, ARC Discovery Project, 2009-11.
- A History of Australasian Philosophy. Graham Oppy, Nick Trakakis, Lynda Burns and Fiona Leigh, ARCDiscovery Project 2006-9.
- The political thought of European women. Karen Green and Jacqueline Broad, ARC Discovery Grant 2004-6 ($257,000)
- Beastly Thoughts: ancient and modern views on animal minds. Monima Chadha, Fiona Leigh John Bigelow, Dirk Baltzly, Aubrey Townsend. Monash Arts Faculty Research Initiatives, 2003.
- Peace, Politics and Love: Christine de Pizan and the political thought of medieval women. Karen Green and Constant Mews (History), ARC Discovery Grant 2002-04 ($138,000)
- Re-thinking Mind and Body: cross cultural and historical perspectives on mind-body problems. Monima Chadha, Dirk Baltzly, John Bigelow, Jay Garfield (Smith College), John Heil (Davidson College). Monash Research Fund, 2003.
- Mindful Things: cross cultural perspectives on the criteria for intelligence. Dirk Baltzly, John Bigelow, Monima Chadha, Jay Garfield (Smith College), John Heil (Davidson College). ARC Discovery Grant 2002 ($50,000).
- Proclus’ interpretation of the philosophy of Plato. Dirk Baltzly, Harold Tarrant (Newcastle) and David Runia (Uni Melbourne), ARC Large Grant 2000-2003 ($103,000)
- Three Studies in Ancient Greek Pantheism and Panpsychism. Dirk Baltzly, Monash Small Grants 2002.