Monash Philosophy has particular strengths in ancient Greco-Roman philosophy, Indian philosophy, early modern philosophy, and in the philosophical and political writings of European women.
Recent research grants:
- Proclus’ Republic Commentary: the first English translation. Dirk Baltzly and David Pass (post-doc). ARC Discovery Project 2012-14.
- Plato’s Myth Voice: the identification and interpretation of ‘inspired speech’ in Plato. Rick Benitez and Julia Kindt (Sydney), Dirk Baltzly (Monash), et al. ARC Discovery Project 2012-14.
- Academies Under Stress: the re-invention and survival of the Platonic schools 360BC-565CE. Harold Tarrant (Newcastle), Dirk Baltzly (Monash), Rick Benetiz (Sydney) et al. ARC Discovery Project 2009-11.
- A History of Women’s Political Thought in Europe 1700 1800. Karen Green, ARC Discovery Project, 2009-11.
- A History of Australasian Philosophy. Graham Oppy, Nick Trakakis, Lynda Burns and Fiona Leigh, ARCDiscovery Project 2006-9.
- The political thought of European women. Karen Green and Jacqueline Broad, ARC Discovery Grant 2004-6 ($257,000)
- Beastly Thoughts: ancient and modern views on animal minds. Monima Chadha, Fiona Leigh John Bigelow, Dirk Baltzly, Aubrey Townsend. Monash Arts Faculty Research Initiatives, 2003.
- Peace, Politics and Love: Christine de Pizan and the political thought of medieval women. Karen Green and Constant Mews (History), ARC Discovery Grant 2002-04 ($138,000)
- Re-thinking Mind and Body: cross cultural and historical perspectives on mind-body problems. Monima Chadha, Dirk Baltzly, John Bigelow, Jay Garfield (Smith College), John Heil (Davidson College). Monash Research Fund, 2003.
- Mindful Things: cross cultural perspectives on the criteria for intelligence. Dirk Baltzly, John Bigelow, Monima Chadha, Jay Garfield (Smith College), John Heil (Davidson College). ARC Discovery Grant 2002 ($50,000).
- Proclus’ interpretation of the philosophy of Plato. Dirk Baltzly, Harold Tarrant (Newcastle) and David Runia (Uni Melbourne), ARC Large Grant 2000-2003 ($103,000)
- Three Studies in Ancient Greek Pantheism and Panpsychism. Dirk Baltzly, Monash Small Grants 2002.
Research in Logic and Metaphysics
Researchers in this strength undertake to answer metaphysical questions about what exists and how the … Continue reading Research in Logic and Metaphysics
Project: Prospects for an Ethics of Self-Cultivation
‘Prospects for an Ethics of Self-Cultivation’ is a two-year-long research project which will investigate the … Continue reading Project: Prospects for an Ethics of Self-Cultivation
Research in Moral and Political Philosophy
As one of our areas of research strength, our work in Moral and Political Philosophy … Continue reading Research in Moral and Political Philosophy