An overview of performance / production projects currently being undertaken by post graduate students within the Performance as Research Unit .
- This research seeks to engage with the following questions: 1. How can/does space and place inspire and channel the creative journey of a performance writing piece by a non-Indigenous Australian in the Australian (post) colonial context? 2. What is specific to Australian experience of landscape, spaces and places reflected in my own work ... Read more
- This research investigates the contemporary relevance of classical dance movement vocabulary and choreographic techniques in an Indian context, with a special focus on artists who have been intensely trained in Bharatanatyam. The output will be in the form of a public performance and a critical commentary. The written component of this PhD will provide a ... Read more
- With a working title of Seeking Dorothy: In the Land of OZ, this research will create a picture of the changing attitudes in society during the first seven years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Sydney, Australia. A Verbatim play and an accompanying critical commentary are the anticipated final products of this research. Both will reflect ... Read more
- This research seeks to establish some effective pathways to revitalize the Bangladeshi Jatra. My study explores the factors affecting Jatra’s sustainability as well as the ways to overcome the challenges it currently faces. This research has a documentary component which will reflect upon the current status of Jatra and offer possible pathways for revitalizing the ... Read more
- ‘Creating an inescapable theatre experience by adapting the theatrical potential of Sri Lankan Ritual Performance for the Modern Theatre’ – Indika FerdinandoThis research project seeks to examine and extract the qualities of “inescapability” found in selected Sri Lankan ritual traditions and apply them to contemporary theatrical practice. Name of Researcher Indika Ferdinando Name of Project Creating an inescapable theatre experience by adapting the theatrical potential of Sri Lankan Ritual Performance for the Modern Theatre Year of Project Current/Ongoing Name of Supervisor/s (if applicable) Dr. ... Read more
- This research examines the current status of Bangsawan in Malaysia’s contemporary theatre scene, using the project Semarak Bangsawan as a case study. Semarak Bangsawan (The Invigoration of Bangsawan) is a project organized by Jabatan Kebudayaan dan Kesenian Negara (JKKN ), a government agency in the Ministry of Information, Communication, and Culture ... Read more
- ‘Staging Sri Lankan cultural identity for the global theatre market: A Contemporary Natyashilpa’ – Tharanga DandeniyaThis practice-led research project aims to effectively represent Sri Lankan cultural identity through folk drama elements in the commercial stream theatre outside of its homeland. The researcher seeks to develop terms and a conceptual framework for Sri Lankan theatre which negotiates with other cultures in non-South Asian cultural spaces. The project will test this framework ... Read more