Nexus is a network of scholars across Monash University and beyond working in the social sciences, humanities and medicine. Through meetings, events and digital networking, Nexus builds a lively intellectual community for theory-oriented inquiry into health, illness and biomedicine.
Find Out More:
- Janis Jenkins, Professor of Anthropology, Department of Anthropology, Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry, University of California at San Diego This talk will discuss the convergence of anthropology and psychiatry and more broadly, the intersections of culture and psychopathology. DATE: Tuesday, 20 August 2013 TIME: 2-4pm LOCATION: Monash University, Caulfield campus, Building S (second level), Lecture Theatre S232 Professor Jenkins will draw ... Read more
- Seminar The Festival of Ideas will be the first time that NEXUS members will be coming together to present on a topic of their interest. The presentations are mainly on work that is in progress, or work that has been completed. There will be presentations on work conducted within Australia and Internationally. Topics include Influenza and ... Read more
- DOBSON, A.S. (2013) Laddishness online: the possible significations and significance of ‘performative shamelessness’ for young women in the post-feminist context. Cultural Studies, iFirst. DOBSON, Amy Shields (2013).‘Sexy’ and ‘laddish’ girls: unpacking complicity between two cultural imag(inations/)es of young femininity. Feminist Media Studies. Available at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14680777.2012.713866 DOBSON, Amy Shields (2012).‘Individuality is everything’: ‘autonomous’ femininity in MySpace mottos and ... Read more
- On the last Friday of each month, Nexus members meet to discuss texts and other materials of interest. A list of materials can be found below. If you would like to join our journal club, please email email@example.com. June 2013 Biehl, J. & Moran-Thomas, A. (2009) Symptoms: Subjectivities, Social Ills, Technologies, The Annual Review of Anthropology, 38, pp. ... Read more
- Encounters and Engagements: Creating new agendas for medcial anthropology, Joiint Conference: EASA Medical Anthropology Network / AAA Society for Medical Anthropology /Universitat Rovira i Virgili Joint International Conference, Tarragona, Spain, June 12-14th 2013 Read More... Read more
- In 2012, as part of NEXUS and the Monash-Warwick Alliance, Carlos Lopez Clavijo and Nicholas Hill along with two PhD candidates at Warwick University in the UK established SSHAM: Social Science, Humanities and Medicine Monash Warwick Alliance. The alliance aims to establish an interdisciplinary dialogue across the universities on issues relevant to the group. The main ... Read more