The centrepiece of this vision is the creation of a new, iconic, state-of-the-art building for the school.
The new building for the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music will encompass urgently needed facilities and equipment:
- forty acoustically-flexible practice rooms (including many with pianos and ranging in size from small to large)
- fifteen ensemble or chamber rooms of various sizes to support group and ensemble teaching, and performance assessments and auditions
- one main auditorium/concert venue to seat up to 800 people
- one outside amphitheatre with moveable staging, seating 600 people
- one chamber auditorium/concert venue to seat approximately 200 people
- a jazz club style venue, seating about 200 people
- one conference room
- recording studio
- approximately 20 office spaces — 15 soundproofed for teaching
- an undergraduate computer lab with 25 workstations
- lounges for undergraduates, postgraduates and staff
- a restaurant / cafe accessible to the Jazz Club and amphitheatre
- various instruments for each practice and ensemble room, including two grand pianos for the auditoriums
- a moveable stage for outdoor concerts
Change of Preference Expo
14 December, 3-7pm.
Winner announced for the Pizzicato Effect Prize for Composition
2016 has marked the beginning of a collaboration between the MSO and Monash University with the introduction of the Pizzicato Effect Prize for Composition.
Monash composers to premiere new works in Germany
The Australian-German production, Vom Anderen Ende (From the Other End) is a Berlin-based concert series that features the State Youth Ensemble for New Music Berlin performing new works by both established and emerging composers.
Monash hosts first international conference on Aceh’s performing and visual arts
Last month Monash hosted an interdisciplinary conference “the Monash International Conference and Cultural Event (ICCE) of Aceh 2016” (26-28 September) and a series of Aceh-related events at the Caulfield and Clayton campuses.
Margaret Kartomi receives major award in Indonesia
Monash Arts ethnomusicologist Professor Margaret Kartomi has received the 2016 Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture’s prestigious … Continue reading Margaret Kartomi receives major award in Indonesia
Grants to help promote contemporary Australian jazz in Japan
The Monash Art Ensemble has been awarded two significant grants by the Australia-Japan Foundation (AJF) … Continue reading Grants to help promote contemporary Australian jazz in Japan
Monash Art Ensemble release ‘Nyilipidgi’ through ABC Records
Professor Paul Grabowsky and the Monash Art Ensemble, in collaboration with David Yipininy Wilfred, the … Continue reading Monash Art Ensemble release ‘Nyilipidgi’ through ABC Records
Monash ethnomusicologist, Dr Adrian McNeil, teaches prestigious Indian government course
Monash ethnomusicologist, Dr Adrian McNeil, has recently returned from Kolkata where he taught an intensive course, … Continue reading Monash ethnomusicologist, Dr Adrian McNeil, teaches prestigious Indian government course
Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music represent in 2016 Art Music Awards
Finalists for the Australian Music Centre‘s 2016 Art Music Awards were announced last week, with … Continue reading Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music represent in 2016 Art Music Awards
Dr Ahmad Sarmast awarded UNESCO Cultural Heritage Rescue Prize
We are pleased to announce that Dr Ahmad Sarmast, founder and Director of the Afghanistan … Continue reading Dr Ahmad Sarmast awarded UNESCO Cultural Heritage Rescue Prize
Professor Margaret Kartomi receives the Koizumi Fumio prize
Last week Professor Margaret Kartomi received the Koizumi Fumio Prize, an international award for achievements … Continue reading Professor Margaret Kartomi receives the Koizumi Fumio prize
Monash Theatre and Performance Centre receives $1 million donation for Artists in Residence Program
Melbourne philanthropist Dr Jeanne Pratt AC has donated $1,000,000 to Monash University’s Centre for Theatre … Continue reading Monash Theatre and Performance Centre receives $1 million donation for Artists in Residence Program