The Monash University Prize for Poetry was established in 1963 and is an important part of the tradition of promoting literary creativity at Monash University. Previous winners include prominent Australian poets such as John A. Scott and Laurie Duggan.
The prize is open to all current Monash University Undergraduate students and is awarded on the recommendation of the Head of School (English, Communications and Performance Studies). The prize is awarded annually for the best poem by an undergraduate. Up to three entries may be submitted by a candidate in any one year.
Entries for the 2012 Monash University Prize for Poetry are now open. The closing date is Friday August 10.
A cash prize is awarded to the winner and the poem is published on the School’s website.
- The poem must be the original work of the candidate.
- Typed. No handwritten entries will be accepted.
- Written in English.
- No more than 150 lines in length.
- Each entry should be submitted under a nom de plume.
- Each entry should be inscribed with your nom de plume only. Do not write your real name on the entry.
- Firmly attach each poem entered to a sealed envelope which contains a completed application form. Application forms can be downloaded from http://arts.monash.edu.au/ecps/prize-for-poetry
- Please complete one application form per entry.
- Entries should be marked for the attention of the School of English, Communications and Performance Studies Office. Lodge your entry by hand or by post only to the addresses below.
- No email submissions will be accepted.
School of English, Communications and Performance Studies
Faculty of Arts
Victoria 3800, Australia
Building 11 (Menzies Building)
Creative Writing Award for PhD student Amaryllis Gacioppo
Amaryllis Gacioppo, a PhD candidate in Creative Writing with Monash Arts, was recently awarded the Lord Mayer’s Creative Writing Award for the Short Story category.
Creative Writing student launches debut novel
Creative writing Honours student, Eliza Henry-Jones’ debut novel, In the Quiet will be launched on … Continue reading Creative Writing student launches debut novel
Monash University Undergraduate Prize for Creative Writing
Monash University in conjunction with the Emerging Writers’ Festival is pleased to present the Monash … Continue reading Monash University Undergraduate Prize for Creative Writing
Marriage in three parts, on the wireless
The demise of a marriage between a poetry professor and an astrobiologist will be examined … Continue reading Marriage in three parts, on the wireless
Monash University Prize for Poetry
About Monash University Prize for Poetry The Monash University Prize for Poetry was established in … Continue reading Monash University Prize for Poetry
Monash Launches New Writing Prize
In conjunction with the Emerging Writers’ Festival, Monash has recently launched a new Undergraduate Prize … Continue reading Monash Launches New Writing Prize
Jane Montgomery Griffiths: R E Ross Script Development Award winner
Jane Montgomery Griffiths new play script has won the R E Ross Script Development Award. A little … Continue reading Jane Montgomery Griffiths: R E Ross Script Development Award winner
Professor’s Gift Overcomes Communication Barriers
Arriving in Australia in 1998 from Iran, Monash Professor Farzad Sharifian knows firsthand the trials … Continue reading Professor’s Gift Overcomes Communication Barriers