The vision for the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University is to develop the complete 21st century musician.
The Monash musician is a specialist who strives for excellence but also encompasses the entire musical firmament.
Monash educates its musicians to the highest professional standards, both in western and non-western traditions; from the classical stream through to contemporary, whether composed or improvised music, including jazz, popular and world music, using the latest in immersive technologies.
The Monash musician is a global citizen, a musician without frontiers, whether it be as a performer, composer or researcher.”
What defines a “complete 21st century” musician at Monash University?
A student who:
- has competency in the key elements of music education – performance, composition, musicology and ethnomusicology
- understands the role music plays as a transformative power in our lives
- understands that we are part of and contribute to a global musical community
- understands the musician’s relationship to audiences
- understands the role that technology is playing in creation, performance and dissemination of music
- understands that music reflects the pluralistic nature of society
- understands the socio-economic realities of managing a career
- understands the relationship between composition, performance and research
- understands the place of music within the University, both as a place of higher learning, and as a community
This will be achieved through:
- specialisation infused with musical diversity
- collaborations with national and international leaders across various musical disciplines
- research: inclusive of performance, new music, musicology, ethnomusicology, performance psychology and the musician as a businessperson
- interfacing with the community through performance
- technology: An immersive and interactive experience
- building leadership
- industry placement
Jazz @ Prato Italy November 25th – Dec 14th 2013
Welcome to the Jazz @ Prato page. Day 1 – 25th Nov Tour of…
About Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash is consistently ranked amongst the best music…
For details about our Telephone, Email and Location maps………
A Career in Music
The vision of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University is to create…
Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music – Facilities
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music has ‘state of the art’ facilities. For further enquiries…
Music Postgraduate Profiles
A Selection of Postgraduate students Carmen Chan, PhD student in Composition Supervisors: Associate Professor…
Staff and students of Monash, as well as visiting artists, delight audiences through the Lunchtime…
Overview of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
The School of Music Conservatorium has both Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs, find out about our Study and Research areas, as well as our facilities and concert series……….
History of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
Find out about the four phases of The History of the School……
Giving to the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
Today we are asking you to help the Monash University Sir Zelman Cowen School of…