The centrepiece of this vision is the creation of a new, iconic, state-of-the-art building for the School of Music.
- 40 acoustically-flexible practice rooms (including many with pianos and ranging in size from small to large)
- 15 ensemble or chamber rooms of various sizes to support group and ensemble teaching, and performance assessments and auditions
- one main auditorium/concert venue to seat up to 800 people
- one outside amphitheatre with moveable staging, seating 600 people
- one chamber auditorium/concert venue to seat approximately 200 people
- a jazz club style venue, seating about 200 people
- one conference room
- recording studio
- approximately 20 office spaces — 15 soundproofed for teaching
- an undergraduate computer lab with 25 workstations
- lounges for undergraduates, postgraduates and staff
- a restaurant / cafe accessible to the Jazz Club and amphitheatre
- various instruments for each practice and ensemble room, including two grand pianos for the auditoriums
- a moveable stage for outdoor concerts
What’s on at the School of Music
From July to November 2015, the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is celebrating its … Continue reading What’s on at the School of Music
Open Day at the School of Music
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is offering an array of performances, information sessions … Continue reading Open Day at the School of Music
50th Anniversary Celebrations Launched!
On Friday 24th July, the School of Music officially launched its 50th anniversary celebrations. The event … Continue reading 50th Anniversary Celebrations Launched!
Dr Paul Watt awarded prestigious European Union Research Fellowship
Dr Paul Watt, a senior lecturer in musicology in the Sir Zelman Cowen School of … Continue reading Dr Paul Watt awarded prestigious European Union Research Fellowship
Paul Grabowsky, Julien Wilson and Peter Knight finalists in 2015 APRA AMCOS Art Music Awards
Finalists for the 2015 Art Music Awards have just been named, and we are pleased to … Continue reading Paul Grabowsky, Julien Wilson and Peter Knight finalists in 2015 APRA AMCOS Art Music Awards
Dr James Mitchell awarded a Balzan Prize visitorship
Dr James Mitchell, an Adjunct Research Fellow of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, … Continue reading Dr James Mitchell awarded a Balzan Prize visitorship
Blog: New York, New York!
Each year the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, in collaboration with New York University, … Continue reading Blog: New York, New York!
Clarinet Mega Day returns in 2015!
Monash University School of Music invites all clarinet players to the Clarinet Mega Day III. Come along for a day of all of things clarinet. Featuring masterclasses with leading professionals, orchestral excerpt class, a warm up session, vendor exhibits, panel discussions and VCE masterclasses. Also, why not join in and perform with the Monash Clarinet Mega Day Clarinet Choir?!
Audition short Course – Jazz and Popular Studies 2015
This course will include performance and ensemble processes that will assist in the building of skills that focus on attaining the standards of the audition requirements and an understanding of what is expectations for the Jazz and Popular course.
Audition Short Course – Creative Music Technology 2015
This course will include recording studio and digital music processes that will assist in the building of skills that focus on attaining the standards of the audition requirements.
Legends of jazz piano: Mike Nock and Tony Gould – Wednesday 13th May
Monash University’s Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music presents: Mike Nock & Tony Gould Wednesday … Continue reading Legends of jazz piano: Mike Nock and Tony Gould – Wednesday 13th May
Monash Success at 2015 Australian Jazz Bell Awards
Staff and students from the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music were recognised at the 2015 Australian … Continue reading Monash Success at 2015 Australian Jazz Bell Awards