Convenor: Dr Joel Crotty
Music in Australia is the flagship research group of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music. It promotes music and music-making in Australia through publications, concerts and advocacy.
The unit aims to heighten awareness of Australian music in all its forms and diasporas to the rest of the world via historical research as well as contemporary practice.
The research group takes particular interest in music-making through the acknowledgement of gender and social cohesion within Australian cultural life. The ‘Gender in Diversity in Music-Making Conference’ held in July 2018 at the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music demonstrates a commitment to cultural inclusion.
Current Research Projects
- Megan Burslem and Cat Hope. (2018 in press). Music History Education in Australian Universities. Jahrbuch für Musikwissenschaft. University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna
- Joel Crotty and Bronia Kornhauser are researching Felix Werder’s incorporation of Jewish music into own compositions in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Joel Crotty and Cat Hope (2018 in press) ‘Speechless: An Operatic Response to Human Rights Abuse in Twenty-First Century Australia’ Davidson, Jane, Halliwell, Michael, Rocke, Stephanie (eds) Opera Emotions and the Antipodes
- Cat Hope: Speechless. A new Australian opera work, directed by Aaron Wyatt, premiering at the Perth Festival in 2019. http://speechlessdevelopment.tura.com.au/
- Cat Hope: Gender in the Australian music industry. This project has seen a series of talks in Canberra, Hobart and Adelaide in 2017 and 2018. An abridged version is here: https://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au/article/stepping-aside-gender-equality-and-privilege-in-recent-australian-music-culture
- Merlyn Quaife and Johanna Selleck (Melbourne Conservatorium of Music) are editing and performing Georgette Peterson’s Children’s Songs by to texts by Annie Rentoul and illustrated by Ida Rentoul.
- Paul Watt is currently researching the connections between Mechanics’ Institutes and Music in nineteenth-century Australia.
Monash University Emerging Music Prizes 2018
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music are offering four Emerging Music Prizes valued at … Continue reading Monash University Emerging Music Prizes 2018
Allan Zavod Performers’ Award 2018
The Allan Zavod Performers’ Award The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University … Continue reading Allan Zavod Performers’ Award 2018
- Sign up to the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music’s monthly newsletter!
Chamber Music Festival 2018
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University invites all clarinet players to the fifth annual Clarinet Mega Day. Come along for a day of all things clarinet!
School of Music well represented in 2017 Art Music Awards
Finalists for the Australian Music Centre’s 2017 Art Music Awards were announced last week, and … Continue reading School of Music well represented in 2017 Art Music Awards
New book by Monash musicologist Dr Paul Watt explores the legendary career of British music critic Ernest Newman
Dr Paul Watt’s latest book, Ernest Newman: A Critical Biography, has just been published. Ernest … Continue reading New book by Monash musicologist Dr Paul Watt explores the legendary career of British music critic Ernest Newman
After Julia performed by Decibel New Music Ensemble
After Julia is a concert by Decibel New Music of eight contemporary works by Australian … Continue reading After Julia performed by Decibel New Music Ensemble
Richard Divall 1945-2017
One of the most distinguished Australian musicians, Professor Fra Richard Divall, died on 15 January, … Continue reading Richard Divall 1945-2017
Audition Preparation Short Course, 2017
Jazz, Popular Studies and Creative Music Technology Audition Preparation Short Course 2017 is a two-day course for jazz instrumentalists, jazz voice, popular voice and Creative Music Technology students.
Zavod Classical-Jazz Fusion Award 2017
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University is pleased to introduce the Zavod Classical-Jazz Fusion Award for outstanding classical-jazz fusion original composition and performance.
Rob Burke and Andrys Onsman Launch New Book: Perspectives on Artistic Research in Music
Coordinator of Jazz and Popular Studies Rob Burke, alongside Andrys Onsman, have launched their new … Continue reading Rob Burke and Andrys Onsman Launch New Book: Perspectives on Artistic Research in Music
New book published on nineteenth-century popular music
Dr Paul Watt (Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music) and Dr Patrick Spedding (LLCL)—with Professor Derek B. Scott (University of Leeds)—are the editors of a new book: Cheap Print and Popular Song in the Nineteenth Century: A Cultural History of the Songster