The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music offers one of Australia’s most innovative and comprehensive music composition programs, embracing many of today’s approaches to music-making: studio-based composition, chamber composition, community composition, Jazz composition, composition for film and television, experimental composition and sound art. Our composition students are part of a lively, creative community that investigates music through traditional approaches and new technologies.
Opportunities for our composers include performance residencies with leading local and international performers as well as the Monash New Music Ensemble under the direction of Tristram Williams. Our composition students develop their original work under the guidance of active and well-established composers. Visiting practitioners of new music present their approaches and methods in weekly composition seminars.
Music composition is a specialisation in our Bachelor of Music and related double degrees. At the graduate level the School offers a Research Masters and a Doctor of Philosophy in music composition. The School conceives of music composition as an art form embracing any musical style, and as a form of research characterised by exploration and reflective practice.
- 2016 has marked the beginning of a collaboration between the MSO and Monash University with the introduction of the Pizzicato Effect Prize for Composition. The Pizzicato Effect ... Read more
- Professor Paul Grabowsky and the Monash Art Ensemble, in collaboration with David Yipininy Wilfred, the traditional djunggayi (manager) of the manikay of the country of ... Read more
- Finalists for the Australian Music Centre‘s 2016 Art Music Awards were announced last week, with staff and students from Monash University’s Sir Zelman Cowen School ... Read more
- The Jazz Composition and Creative Music Technology staff at the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, Monash University, would like to invite creative young musicians ... Read more
- Sublating the Symbol is a collaborative and curated music-recording project, involving a number of Monash University composers (staff and students) brought together by project leader ... Read more
- German conductor and composer Jobst Liebrecht has been invited by the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music to present a residency program to the School’s composition ... Read more
- The winners of the 2014 APRA AMCOS Art Music Awards were announced last night at a gala event hosted in Melbourne. We are very excited ... Read more
- Thomas Reiner’s latest album Semblances has been released under the ARS Publica label. Read more