The School offers a wide-ranging undergraduate program and a variety of postgraduate degrees in Performance, Composition, Musicology and Ethnomusicology.
With modern facilities, unique archival collections, scholarship opportunities and a reputation for supervision excellence, the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is home to a vibrant, nurturing and productive research environment.
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash is consistently ranked amongst the best music schools in Australia and attracts students and visiting staff from all over the world.
The School offers a wide-ranging undergraduate program and a variety of honours and postgraduate degrees in performance, composition, musicology and ethnomusicology. With modern facilities, unique archival collections, scholarship opportunities and a reputation for supervision excellence, the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is home to a vibrant, nurturing and productive teaching and research environment. The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is also committed to ensuring our students are exposed to a diverse and challenging range of learning experiences including international study programs to Prato and New York and a career in music after the completion of study at Monash.
Particular strengths of the School include classical, jazz and popular music studies, musicology, ethnomusicology, and contemporary composition. The School encourages and promotes diversity and integration of traditional, multi-cultural and contemporary styles of music performance, and also boasts some of the leading teachers of classical and jazz instrumental and vocal performance in the country.
Find Out More:
- About Studying Music
- Undergraduate, Honours, Postgraduate
- International Study Opportunities
- Application Information: Auditions, Scholarships
- Careers in Music
- The essence of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is defined by the music of multiple world cultures. Underpinned by the history of musical culture, our aim is to produce and research music for the present and the future through the global music community at Monash University. A distinctive nature of the School’s vision is ... Read more
- The vision of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University is to create the complete 21st century musician – A musician that specialises with musical diversity. This parallels the diversity of choice for our students seeking employment in music related fields. Most of these music career options don’t offer an adequate sole income. So, for ... Read more
- The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music has ‘state of the art’ facilities. For further enquiries for hiring, please contact email@example.com Auditorium Seats 230 Stage – caters for a full orchestra Steinway Piano (Full Grand – Hamburg) Yamaha (C7) Harpsichord Bose PA Percussion – Full Orchestral and Jazz Popoular Music facilities 80 x Orchestral seats and Stands Recording Studio 3 recording rooms Auditorium – Drum Room – Main recording ... Read more
- A Selection of Postgraduate students Carmen Chan, PhD student in Composition Supervisors: Associate Professor Thomas Reiner, Dr Catherine Schieve I have commenced a research project looking at how unconventional notation acts as a guide to improvisation. This originated from my experience as a performer in percussion, which eventually led to score-making and, in a broader sense, composition. After almost ... Read more
- Today we are asking you to help the Monash University Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music by making a donation. Your support means we can continue to provide our students with the best well-rounded education in music. The performing arts can brighten spirits and inspire creativity and innovation. At a time when so many are challenged to ... Read more