Inspiring music beyond borders
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music strives to inspire musicians towards excellence that knows no borders. In scholarship, composition and performance our aim is to develop the musician of tomorrow through a progressive, holistic and culturally diverse approach. The School excels in classical, jazz and popular music performance, its internationally renowned ethnomusicology and musicology programs, and vibrant programs in composition, improvisation, and music technology. The School offers overseas study in New York and Prato (Italy), and works in close collaboration with the Monash Academy of Performing Arts (MAPA) to provide extraordinary performance opportunities. Our graduates are intellectually informed, creatively equipped and professionally geared to engage with the musical challenges of the globalised world of the 21st century.
The Bachelor of Music offers several overseas study programs in Prato and New York, and a variety of honours and postgraduate degrees in performance, composition, musicology and ethnomusicology. The School is also a vital centre for Research and collaborates closely with the Monash Academy of Performing Arts.
News and Events
- Melbourne philanthropist Dr Jeanne Pratt AC has donated $1,000,000 to Monash University’s Centre for Theatre and Performance, significantly boosting student opportunities in musical theatre. Read more
- Last week Professor Margaret Kartomi received the Koizumi Fumio Prize, an international award for achievements in ethnomusicology, in a ceremony in Tokyo. Read more
- World authority on Sumatran music, Professor Margaret Kartomi, receives international ethnomusicology awardWorld authority on Sumatran music, Professor Margaret Kartomi, receives international ethnomusicology award Read more
- Dr Paul Watt, a senior lecturer in musicology in the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, has been offered a contract by UK publisher Boydell ... Read more
- This course will include performance and ensemble processes that will assist in the building of skills that focus on attaining the standards of the audition ... Read more
- The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music has been honoured with hosting the inaugural chair in Indian Studies at Monash University. This prestigious chair was established ... Read more
- Composition students from Monash’s Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music recently travelled to Germany to hear first-hand a performance of their original musical works based ... Read more
- In a ceremony held during the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra’s concert at Hamer Hall on 12 March 2016, Monash Professor of Music Margaret Kartomi became the ... Read more
- We are very excited to introduce our newest member of staff, Mr Johannes Luebbers, who will be joining the jazz team at the School of ... Read more
- The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music are pleased to announce that Ph.D. student, pianist and composer Joe O’Connor has won the fifth annual PBS ... Read more
- Professor Margaret Kartomi from the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music has recently received news that she is the 2015 recipient of the prestigious Koizumi ... Read more
- This book contains MAMU Director Margaret Kartomi’s third illustrated article on the musical fighting art of silat in different parts of Indonesia. Sir Zelman ... Read more