Inspiring music beyond borders
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music strives to inspire musicians towards excellence that knows no borders. In scholarship, composition and performance our aim is to develop the musician of tomorrow through a progressive, holistic and culturally diverse approach. The School excels in classical, jazz and popular music performance, its internationally renowned ethnomusicology and musicology programs, and vibrant programs in composition, improvisation, and music technology. The School offers overseas study in New York and Prato (Italy), and works in close collaboration with the Monash Academy of Performing Arts (MAPA) to provide extraordinary performance opportunities. Our graduates are intellectually informed, creatively equipped and professionally geared to engage with the musical challenges of the globalised world of the 21st century.
Offering modern facilities, unique archival collections, scholarship opportunities and expert higher-degree supervision, the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is a vibrant and productive teaching and research environment.
Composition | Music technology | Overseas study | Research |
Monash Academy of Performing Arts | Honours | Postgraduate |
News and Events
- The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music are thrilled to announce that Adjunct Research Associate and ethnomusicologist Dr John Garzoli has been awarded a three month Post-Doctoral Read more
- Distinguished scholar and early music specialist Professor John Griffiths commenced his appointment as Head of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at the beginning Read more
- Dr Kenji Fujimura and Elizabeth Sellars awarded Limelight’s Chamber Recording of the Year for their album ‘The Messiaen Nexus’ (Move Records). The highly coveted Limelight Read more
- In the past decade, a growing literature has emerged on the phenomena of sound and body movement in relation to the human emotions and senses. Read more
- We are extremely pleased to inform you that on the 8th of November, at the meeting of the American Musicological Society in Milwaukee, Professor John Griffiths Read more
- The 2014 Distinguished Alumni Awards were presented last week and we are thrilled to announce that Musicologist Dr Ahmad Naser Sarmast – graduate of the Sir Read more
- Monash University PhD candidate and Prime Minster Endeavour Scholar John Garzoli has recently been awarded a Monash Postgraduate Publications Award (PPA). With these awards the Read more
- The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is pleased to announce Dr John Whiteoak, one of Australia’s pre-eminent music scholars, has been appointed as an Read more