Inspiring music beyond borders
The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music strives to inspire musicians towards excellence that knows no borders. In scholarship, composition and performance our aim is to develop the musician of tomorrow through a progressive, holistic and culturally diverse approach. The School excels in classical, jazz and popular music performance, its internationally renowned ethnomusicology and musicology programs, and vibrant programs in composition, improvisation, and music technology. The School offers overseas study in New York and Prato (Italy), and works in close collaboration with the Monash Academy of Performing Arts (MAPA) to provide extraordinary performance opportunities. Our graduates are intellectually informed, creatively equipped and professionally geared to engage with the musical challenges of the globalised world of the 21st century.
The Bachelor of Music offers several overseas study programs in Prato and New York, and a variety of honours and postgraduate degrees in performance, composition, musicology and ethnomusicology. The School is also a vital centre for Research and collaborates closely with the Monash Academy of Performing Arts.
News and Events
- The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music is delighted to advise that our Adjunct Research Associate, sessional colleague and recent doctoral graduate, Dr John Garzoli, Read more
- Monash Sessions: Kenny Werner In August 2014 The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University hosted American jazz pianist Kenny Werner as part of Read more
- Dr Paul Watt, a senior lecturer in musicology in the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, is the lead editor on a new project commissioned Read more
- Dr Paul Watt, a senior lecturer in musicology in the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, has been awarded a European Union Seventh Program Senior Read more
- Finalists for the 2015 Art Music Awards have just been named, and we are pleased to announce that Professor Paul Grabowsky has been selected as finalist in Read more
- Dr James Mitchell, an Adjunct Research Fellow of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, has been awarded a highly prestigious Musicology Visitorship with the Balzan Read more