At Monash we are committed to ensuring our music students are exposed to a diverse and challenging range of learning experiences. Although a fairly new initiative our international study programs to Prato and New York have proved a resounding success and a very rewarding experience for students and staff alike.
Carefully designed, the programs draw on the expertise of Monash staff and their extensive international networks. They fully embrace the cultural experience and include a wide variety of activities from master classes with world-renowned musicians to performances at local jazz clubs.
What programs are on offer?
- Jazz and Classical music in Prato – these run in alternate years
- Jazz in New York – runs in alternate years to the jazz program in Prato
Who can go?
All students are eligible to go as long as they have successfully completed one year of their music degree
Where do students stay
- Prato: Prato is 20 km outside of Florence in Italy
- New York: At New York University on the East Coast of the USA
- Broaden your experience, deepen your knowledge and understanding.
- Immerse yourself in a different culture, develop your intercultural appreciation and understanding.
- Intensive courses are challenging but very rewarding. They are a unique opportunity to commit yourself fully to music for three weeks with like-minded people.
- It’s fun!
- Prato Students participate in workshops with acclaimed Italian jazz musicians and academics from diverse backgrounds. In 2009 these included Mirko Guerrini and Cristina Zavalloni as well as premier international jazz artists like Paul McCandless. In 2009 Monash students also worked alongside students from the local music school Scuola Comuale di Musica ‘Guiseppi Verdi’ preparing for a series ... Read more