Jazz Audition Requirements
- Undergraduate: Two contrasting pieces (e.g. style, period, composer), no longer than 15 minutes altogether.
Honours: Three contrasting works (e.g. style, period, composer), no longer than 30 minutes altogether.
- The audition will comprise selections from the applicant’s audition material, improvisation over a chord progression (supplied in the audition), a brief interview and ear training.
- The audition panel will assess applicants on a range of criteria:
Improvisational skills (harmonic and rhythmic content)
Interaction with the Ensemble
Knowledge of music form and styles
Popular Voice Audition Requirements
- Two contrasting songs: one up-tempo and one ballad from two different periods (pre and post 1980). Each song should not exceed 5 minutes duration.
- The audition will comprise selections from the applicant’s audition material, a brief interview, and an ear training test.
- Applicants also auditioning for the Jazz Voice specialisation option are advised to include a jazz piece that contains a section demonstrating their improvisation ability.
All applicants are expected to perform with live backing. No accompanist will be provided. Performing solely with backing tracks is not recommended.
Audition Course – Jazz and Popular Studies
Audition Preparation Short Course Overview, 2017 Jazz, Popular Studies and Creative Music Technology Audition Preparation … Continue reading Audition Course – Jazz and Popular Studies
2018 Entry Audition Schedule
This year, Performance auditions will be held 25 – 28 September and 27 November – 15 December.
Classical Audition Requirements
Undergraduate: Three contrasting pieces (e.g. style, period, composer), no longer than 15 minutes altogether.Honours: At … Continue reading Classical Audition Requirements