Jazz Audition Requirements
- Undergraduate: Two contrasting pieces (e.g. style, period, composer), no longer than 15 minutes altogether.
Honours: Three contrasting works (e.g. style, period, composer), no longer than 30 minutes altogether.
- The audition will comprise selections from the applicant’s audition material, improvisation over a chord progression (supplied in the audition), a brief interview and ear training.
- The audition panel will assess applicants on a range of criteria:
Improvisational skills (harmonic and rhythmic content)
Interaction with the Ensemble
Knowledge of music form and styles
Popular Voice Audition Requirements
- Two contrasting songs: one up-tempo and one ballad from two different periods (pre and post 1980). Each song should not exceed 5 minutes duration.
- The audition will comprise selections from the applicant’s audition material, a brief interview, and an ear training test.
- Applicants also auditioning for the Jazz Voice specialisation option are advised to include a jazz piece that contains a section demonstrating their improvisation ability.
All applicants are expected to perform with live backing. No accompanist will be provided. Performing solely with backing tracks is not recommended.
2018 Entry Audition Schedule
This year, Performance auditions will be held 25 – 28 September and 27 November – 15 December.
Audition Course – Jazz and Popular Studies
Audition Preparation Short Course Overview Jazz, Popular Studies and Creative Music Technology Audition Preparation Short … Continue reading Audition Course – Jazz and Popular Studies
Classical Audition Requirements
Undergraduate: Three contrasting pieces (e.g. style, period, composer), no longer than 15 minutes altogether.Honours: At … Continue reading Classical Audition Requirements