Sustainable Tourism Management at Monash
In the twenty-first century the ‘international tourism industry’ can more accurately be described as the global movement of people for a variety of motivations including; business,study, work, conferences and exhibitions, leisure, special events, working holidays and visiting friends and relatives.
The Master of Tourism at Monash University, founded in 1989, recognises that the current era of rapid global change is increasing demands for highly skilled managers in the international tourism industry and associated industries.
Australia is widely recognised internationally for its skill in the strategic management and marketing of the industry and is therefore the logical location for your graduate studies. The Master of Tourism is based in the National Centre for Australian Studies (NCAS) and we engage with the industry via our ‘live’ case study based field schools in Sydney and regional Victoria
As a Monash Master of Tourism student you will have the opportunity to participate in study tours and field schools both in Australia and overseas.
The elective unit Contemporary Issues in Tourism features an industry-focused international field school in association with the University of London (SOAS) to either Fiji, Vietnam or another destination with industry guest speakers.
Graduate Tourism Programs
Download the information brochure here:
Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management (MISTM)
In partnership with the highly regarded Master of Sustainability degree students now have the opportunity to focus their studies on issues surrounding international development and sustainability. Read more about the Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management
Tourism Development in Emerging Economies
The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) forcasts the growth in tourism to emerging economies will be double that of advanced economies to 2030. The Master of Tourism has a strong focus on emerging economies and how the tourism industry can be harnessed to maximise the benefits for these nations.
Our international field school each year is located in an emerging economy such as Fiji, Vietnam or another destination where students have the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of the challenges facing the development of the industry.
- Hear Dr Jeff Jarvis on Radio Australia discuss tourism development in emerging economies.
- Tourism and the Global Economy: Issues and opportunities (Source: BBC)
UNWTO: One billion tourists one billion opportunities
More about the Master of Tourism:
Outstanding graduate outcomes | International relevance | Specialist postgraduate studies | Strong industry links | Research-led teaching | Experiential learning, international field schools | Flexible study options | Course information | Fee & application information | Apply now
- Students in the Master of Tourism and Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management programs recently spent a week in Berlin, Germany, as part of their ... Read more
- Opportunities for real-world learning with a Monash Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management Monash University is now offering a Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management in ... Read more
- In partnership with the highly regarded Master of Sustainability degree students now have the opportunity to focus their studies on issues surrounding international development and ... Read more
- The Graduate Tourism Program (Master of Tourism) has been identified by the Aga Kahn Development Network (AKDN) and Aga Kahn University (AKU) as one of ... Read more