Trans-Asian Cultural and Media Studies is a research subtheme of the Film, Media and Communication HDR program in the Faculty of Arts at Monash University.
The ACMS research cluster has amongst its members several internationally recognised leaders in this field available for available for supervision.
With an emphasis on transnational perspectives and cross-disciplinary approaches, we cover wide-ranging research topics of cultural and media studies in the contexts of diverse Asian countries/regions including Australia.
Examples of research topics include:
- Globalization and popular culture (TV, film, music, sports, celebrities etc.)
- Trans-Asian cultural flows, connections and exchange
- Cultural economy and cultural policy
- Critical studies of soft power and nation branding
- Digital culture
- Communication technologies and the body
- Media, citizenship and the public
- Media and affect
- Youth culture and urban culture
- Multiculturalism, racism, nationalism
- Diaspora, migrants and transnationalism
- Visual culture, gender/sexuality and queer studies
- Asian-Australian studies
- Asia-Australia connections and interactions
Please see individual staff pages for detailed research interests and areas of supervision.
For more information about enrolling in the HDR (Higher Degree by Research) program of Film, Media and Communication, please visit:
- Film, Media and Communication program (Arts Research Graduate School)