MAI Staff Research Profiles
- Prof Greg Barton. Centre of Southeast Asian Studies. Greg.Barton@monash.edu. Islam, Islamic social movements, civil society, politics and Islamist radicalism in Southeast Asia.
- Dr Wendy Smith. Centre for Malaysian Studies. Wendy.Smith@monash.edu. Cross-cultural management; employee relations in Asia; Japanese management transfer; international business; social protection in Malaysia; globalized religious organizations; managing religious diversity in the workplace; Islamic work ethics.
- Professor Carolyn Stevens. Japanese Studies Centre. Carolyn.Stevens@monash.edu. Social anthropology and cultural studies; social problems in Japan, including topics such as disability and poverty, as well as popular music and consumerism in postwar Japan.
- Prof Marika Vicziany. National Centre for South Asian Studies. Marika.Vicziany@monash.edu. Mass poverty, Ethnic/Religious minorities in India, Pakistan and Western China, and Regional Security
Researchers working on Asian regions
Name Specialist area Affiliation Emeritus Professor David Chandler David.Chandler@monash.edu Cambodia, Pol Pot and Genocide in Cambodia SOPHIS Emeritus Professor Mark Wahlqvist Mark.Wahlqvist@monash.edu National and International Nutrition Science, Education and Policy; Clinical Nutrition and Internal Medicine Faculty of Arts Prof A.K. Bagchi
Institute of Development Studies, Kolkatta
Amiya.Bagchi@gmail.com Indian economy Faculty of Arts Prof Zenon Pudlowski Zenon.Pudlowski@monash.edu Engineering Education in the Asia Pacific Region Faculty of Arts Mr Hashim Abdulhamid Hashim.Abdulhamid@monash.edu Arabic-Malay lexicography LCL Dr Peter Chang firstname.lastname@example.org SOPHIS Dr Leon Comber email@example.com Dr Joost Coté Joost.Cote@monash.edu Colonial Urban Culture with special reference to Java; Semarang: Colonization of Central Sulawesi; Kartini and sisters SOPHIS Dr Judith Shaw Judith.Shaw@monash.edu Microfinance and Micro-enterprise Development, Labour Migration and Migrant Remittances, the Asian Garment Manufacturing Sector, Politics of Post-Tsunami Reconstruction SOPHIS Mr Ian Adie Ian.Adie@monash.edu International business Dr Aneela Zeb Babar firstname.lastname@example.org Dr Jayant Bapat Jayant.Bapat@monash.edu Hindu Deities and Temples SOPHIS Mr Farhan Bokhari
International Journalist, Financial Times (London)
Regional Security in South and Central Asia; Asia Pacific Regional Security Dialogues member Ms Rita Camilleri Rita.Camilleri@monash.edu Malaysian Politics Dr Lance Castles Lance.Castles@monash.edu Darul Islam and Indonesian Elections Mr Paul Cheater Paul.Cheater@monash.edu The relationship between Western and Afghan Music Education Ms Helene Chung-Martin Helene.ChungMartin@monash.edu China; Biography Dr Andrew Cock Andrew.Cock@monash.edu Political and economic dynamics of agrarian change; peripheral states and peripheral territorial spaces in the modern international system; the governance of agriculture, energy, and climate change in the Southeast Asian region and at a global level. PSI Dr Ian Coghlan Ian.Coghlan@monash.edu Tibetan Buddhism Dr Leon Comber Leon.Comber@monash.edu Malaysian Insurgency PSI Dr Sue Downie Sue.Downie@monash.edu Development Studies, Australian Aid, Peace-keeping, Peace-building and development with special reference to Cambodia and East Timor missions, Dissemination of information in cross-cultural context (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand) Dr Angelo Andrea Di Castro Andrea.DiCastro@monash.edu Archaeology of South and Central Asia SOPHIS
Dr Geetha Govindasamy
PSI Dr Joan Grant email@example.com Australian-Vietnamese diplomatic relations, 1975–2005 Ms Istutiah Gunawan Istutiah.Gunawan@monash.edu Cultures of Southeast Asia with special focus on Indonesia Ms Smita Gupta
Journalist, Times of India, Outlook
India; Indian General Elections; Human rights violations, with special focus on communal and caste violence Dr Alexandra Haendel firstname.lastname@example.org History of Art and Archaeology; Classical Temples of Southeast Asia (Cambodia and Java); Ancient Angkor Dr Elisabeth Hames-Brooks email@example.com Indonesia; Australia-Asia relation; Poetry Ms Chooi-Hon Ho Chooihon.Ho@monash.edu Chinese in Australia and the Chinese diaspora LCL Dr Gidi Ifergan Gid.Ifergan@monash.edu SOPHIS Dr Lea Jellinek Lea.Jellinek@monash.edu Indonesia, Poverty Specialist
Action research on recycling of waste in villages in Indonesia
GES Mr Edward Kiefer Action research on recycling of waste in villages in Indonesia GES Dr Peter Laird Peter.Laird@monash.edu Malaysian Shamanism and Culture; Traditional and tribal medicine; Multilingual geneological documentation and visualization software for indigenous researchers, Anthropologists and Sociologists Associate Professor Peg Levine firstname.lastname@example.org PSI Dr Meei-Shyuan Lee Meei-Shyuan.Lee@monash.edu Nutritional Science and Public Health Nutrition with special focus on Asia; Bio-Statitiscian and Epidemiologist Dr Ian Mabbett Ian.Mabbett@monash.edu SOPHIS Prof S. D. Muni
Professor of Asian Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University; India’s special envoy to Laos and Cambodia
Regional Security in the Asia Pacific Ms Katy Munson Katy.Munson@monash.edu Artist; Fine Art research with special focus on Asia (Vietnam, Burma, Tibet and Buddhism) Ms Uyen Nguyen Uyen.Nguyen@monash.edu Asian Films Project Ms Anita Nayar Mr Nurul Mu’az Omar Politics, International Relations and Healthcare issues; Malaysian Youth and Democracy Dr Maya Raganathan
Manipal Institute of Communication, Karnataka, India
Maya.Ranganathan@monash.edu Ethnic conflict in Kashmir and Sri Lanka and the use of the internet Dr Sarita Sahay Hindu mythology, folklore and tribal studies, women studies, adolescent studies PSI Dr Ahmad Sarmast Ahmad.Sarmast@monash.edu Music and culture of Afghanistan and Central Asia Music Prof Shamsul, A.B. World authority on Malaysian civilisation and culture Sharmini Sherrard Sharmini.Sherrard@monash.edu PSI Mr Kannan Srinivasan PSI Dr David Templeman David.Templeman@monash.edu SOPHIS Mr David Treisman David.Treisman@monash.edu PSI Dr Dennis Walker PSI Dr Ann Wiggleworths Ann.Wigglesworth@monash.edu PSI Dr Guibin Zhang PSI
- Date: 24 May 2013 (Friday) Venue: Building A, Ground floor, Clayfield/Dining Rooms (A1.34), Monash University Caulfield Campus (For information on travelling, parking and map, please visit www.monash.edu.au/campuses/caulfield/) Organized by Monash Asia Institute, Monash University Co-organized by Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (S) “A Japan-based Global Study of Racial Representations”) Registration required. RSVP (no later ... Read more