The Monash Asia Institute Newsletter is published monthly. It incorporates news items from the research centres of the Monash Asia Institute, partner organisations and other groups working to promote Asian Studies in Australia.
If you wish to receive the bulletin by email, please join our mailing list by sending an email with the subject heading “MAI Mailing List” to MAI-Enquiries@monash.edu. Include in the message, your name, Institution or Company, contact details (email, business address, postcode, country and phone no.), and a short description of your research expertise or interests. Alternatively, please use Join Mailing List form.
If you wish to submit an item for the newsletter, please send an email to the MAI-Enquiries address. The item should be of interest or relevant to the promotion of Asian Studies in Australia and should not be longer than 150 words. The due date for items for the newsletter is the 25th of each month.
- MAI Bulletin NOV-DEC 2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk The 2014 teaching weeks have ended. But MAI’s research activities still continue! There will be two large international conferences in November and December—Asian Cultural and Media Studies Now and Interactive Futures: Young People’s Mediated Lives in the Asia Pacific and Beyond. Please also find in this bulletin the ... Read more
- MAI-Bulletin-October-2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk MAI’s inaugural Research Day was very successfully held on 12 September. Around sixty people from various disciplines, schools, centres and faculties joined together and more than twenty people made a brief presentation about their research projects. It was a great occasion that showcased various researches conducted within Monash and facilitated intellectual conversation among researchers working ... Read more
- MAI-Bulletin-September-2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk The first MAI research day is coming closer. This will be a great occasion that showcases various research conducted within Monash and facilitates intellectual conversation among researchers. We really hope that many researchers are participating in this inaugural event on 12th September. On 18 September, MAI is organizing a screening seminar ... Read more
- MAI-Bulletin-August-2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk During the semester break, there were many well attended events, including a highly successful international symposium on, Asia Literacy in Practice. More will be coming in the second semester. In August. Trans-Asia as Method seminar series will reconsider the study of migration from trans-Asian perspectives. A special lecture organized by The ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin June 2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk On 12 June, MAI is holding a one-day international symposium, Asia Literacy in Practice. This one-day symposium will highlight the experiences of people who have been involved in practicing “Asia literacy” through their work in such fields as secondary and university education, business, craft art, activism and media. ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin MAY 2014 From the Director’s Desk In May, Trans-Asia as method will be jointly organized with Asian Cultural and Media Studies Research Cluster, whose topic is ABC’s international broadcasting service in Asian regions. We will also have three student seminars. At the Mon@sia seminar, undergraduate students will critically discuss the issues of “Asia Literacy”. Three ... Read more
- From the Director’s Desk MAI Bulletin April 2014 In April, Trans-Asia as method will be jointly organized with Japanese Studies Centre, in which transnational flows and national policy regarding highly skilled migrants in Asia will be discussed in a comparative manner. The National Centre for South Asian Studies will have a special seminar on Sufism and shamanism in Xinjuang. At the first ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin March 2014_v2 From the MAI Director’s Desk March is an exciting and refreshing month in Australia as a new academic year starts. MAI’s event activities also vigorously resume. They include MAI 2014 kick-off gathering and Trans-Asia as method seminar, which will be jointly organized with the Centre for Southeast Asian Studies. Another significant event in ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin NOVEMBER 2013 From the Director’s Desk We are having many stimulating events in November. MAI will organize an international workshop, Multiculturalism and Asia (21-22 Nov). Many prominent academics and young researchers will get together to discuss multicultural questions in the Asian contexts. There are also special lectures by two internationally renowned professors. On 29 Nov, ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin OCTOBER 2013 From the Director’s Desk In October, we will have intriguing events that give us precious food for thought regarding “Australia in the Asian Century”. National Centre for Australian Studies (NCAS) will organize China-Australia Research Symposium, which features three visiting fellows from China. Mon@sia will discuss the issues of language teaching and Asia literacy. ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin Sep2013 From the MAI Director’s Desk Spring has already come! September will be another hectic month for MAI friends. We will have many exciting seminars such as Chinese modernity and creative industries, a memoir of Lily Chan, the winner of the 2013 Dobbie Literary Award, and the issues in teaching pop culture to enhance Asian ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin AUGUST 2013 The second semester has just begun and MAI’s exciting seminars and other activities are also set in motion. They cover a variety of topics and regions, such as Asian literacy and the internationalization of language education in Australia and the end of the Japanese empire and its implication for the current territorial ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin JUNE 2013 In June, in addition to various seminars, we will have a significant event. On 18 June, MAI will organize a special event for Professor Marika Vicziany’s official retirement from Monash University in honour of her great achievement in the development of MAI and the study of Asian regions at Monash. This will ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin MAY 2013 In this month, we are having an international seminar, Rethinking Race/Racism from Asian Experiences on 24 May. It is a special event of Trans-Asia as method seminar series. The seminar aims to reconsider and expand the studies of race and racism by examining them in the Japanese and Malaysian contexts. A public ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin Apr 2013 The hectic first month of Semester 1 has ended with a relieving Easter break. I hope you had (or are still having) a nice break. Even with a busy schedule of March, a good number of people (researchers, postgraduate students and undergraduate students) participated in MAI’s new public forum Mon@sia and seminar ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin March 2013 Summer season is finally ending. March is always exciting and refreshing as a new academic year starts in Australia. MAI’s event line-up further adds quite a stimulating flavour to this month. In addition to the seminars organized by CSEAS (7th and 21st) and JSC (13th), we will start a new public forum, ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin December 2012 With the last MAI Bulletin for 2012 I would like to take this opportunity to wish the MAI Community, MAI Bulletin subscribers and their loved ones a safe and pleasant Christmas / New Year period. As outgoing Director of MAI, I also wish to express my deep gratitude to Professor Rae Frances ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin November 2012 As teaching draws to a close for 2012, and scholars seek to progress their writing leading into the summer season, a major upcoming event is the 50 Years of Indonesian and Malay Studies at Monash event. This is open to the public, and will take place at Clayton campus on 23 November ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin October 2012 This month’s MAI Bulletin features another great range of upcoming events, including the final Herb Feith Foundation seminar for 2012 and the Cambodia Roundtable, as well as recent seminars by Professor Yuhua Ji and two new Monash Asia publications. Monash and the MAI Community extends a warm welcome to Professor Koichi Iwabuchi, who ... Read more
- MAI Bulletin September 2012 Among the numerous exciting items in this month’s MAI Bulletin, please note the Intensely Soul performance and workshop to take place on 29 & 30 September. Monash University’s Faculty of Arts and the Monash Asia Institute are supporting the Victorian leg of this national tour. We also wish to convey that a ... Read more