Date(s) - 21/06/2013
12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Monash Law Chambers
The Mitsubishi Corporation Seminar Series
Japan Renewal: post 3/11 Japan and the Media
Melbourne, Friday 21 June 2013
Monash Law Chambers, Bourke Street (directions)
This interdisciplinary seminar explores the roles of traditional and new media in the reporting and documenting of the 11 March earthquake and tsunami in Northeastern Japan. The triple disaster on 11 March 2011 threw into relief a variety of social, political and economic issues, such as community planning, the aging of society, and environmental concerns: how are these concerns being debated in the public sphere? What are the potential futures for this area?
The JSC invites the Japanese Studies community to this one day gathering of Australian and Japanese scholars to discuss the steps Japanese society has taken in the two years since the disaster.
1) 11:30-12:30 registration, coffee/tea and light refreshments on arrival
2) 12:30-1 pm Welcome and opening remarks
3) 1:00 pm – 2:15: Keynote session and open discussion
Professor Mamoru ITO, Waseda University
4) 2:30 Panel discussion: presentations on the topic of social media, artistic activism, and art since 3/11.
Dr. Claire Maree, University of Melbourne
Professor Vera Mackie, University of Wollongong
Mr. Roger Pulvers, Author, playwright, translator and theatre director
5) 4:30 – 5 pm Refreshments
Presenters will join attendees for refreshments.
6) 5-6:30 pm: Workshop: Responding to Disasters, Rebuilding for the Future
This workshop will allow seminar participants to share their own ideas and experiences
Discussion groups will be led by presenters from the afternoon session, and enable participants to share their experiences and interpretations of the events of March 2011.
All sessions will be conducted in English.
7) 6:30 ~ buffet dinner.
This seminar is free of charge, but advance registration is required.
If you wish to register, please e-mail the JSC with the following information:
– Your name, title and affiliation
– Contact e-mail address
– Attendance preferences: whether you wish to attend the whole seminar, the keynote and panel session only, or the evening workshop session only. In either case, please be sure to advise whether or not you require dinner and if so, any special dietary requirements.
Registration deadline: Friday 14 June, 2013
This seminar is part of a series of academic seminars sponsored by Mitsubishi Corporation and coordinated by the Japanese Studies Centre, Melbourne.