Many thanks for all your support for and participation in MAI activities during 2014.
We look forward to working with you again next year.
May Peace, Joy, Hope and Happiness be yours during the Holiday Season and throughout the New Year!
Director, Monash Asia Institute
Welcome to Monash Asia Institute (MAI)! MAI is a multi-disciplinary research centre representing the Asian research expertise in all ten faculties on all Monash campuses located in Australia and abroad. Founded in 1988 as the Institute for Contemporary Asian Studies, it was reconstituted as the MAI in 1992 to bring together a wide range of Asia-related activities in the University and develop collaborative links with like-minded institutions in Australia, Asia, the USA and Europe. Now located in the Arts Faculty, MAI endeavors to facilitate innovative research on Asian regions and promote cross-disciplinary and trans-Asian intellectual dialogue within and outside Monash.
2014 MAI Annual International Conferences
Thu 6- Fri 7 Nov 2014, Monash University Caulfield Campus
12 June (Thurs) 2014, Monash University Caulfield Campus
12 September (Fri), 12-4pm, Monash University Caulfield Campus
MAI Seminar series
Mon@sia is a public forum that aims to critically rethink fundamental questions around why and how we study about “Asia” and go beyond the compartmentalization of the studies of “Asia” as something happening “over there”. Trans-Asia as method is an academic seminar series that aims to facilitate trans-Asian and cross-disciplinary dialogue by comparatively and collaboratively and develop new conceptualization and theorization from Asian experiences and de-Westernizing the production of knowledge. In addition, there are regular and occasional seminars organized by Centre for Southeast Asian Studies, Japanese Studies Centre, National Centre for South Asian Studies, and Centre for Malaysian Studies. For the details of those seminars, please see Calendar and Events page.
- Trans-Asian Cultural and Media Studies — A new postgraduate research area of Film, Media & Communication HDR ProgramTrans-Asian Cultural and Media Studies Postgraduate Research Opportunities at Monash University, Melbourne We are very excited to announce the launch of a new research area, Trans-Asian Cultural and Media Studies in the postgraduate research program of Film, Media & Communication at the Faculty of Arts, Monash University, Melbourne. Currently there are 13 prominent scholars available for supervision. Read more
- SOUTH ASIAN STUDIES ASSOCIATION THE HUGH OWEN PRIZE Each year the South Asian Studies Association (SASA) offers the Hugh Owen prize for the best undergraduate essay in South Asian studies. For the purposes of the prize, the term ‘South Asia’ covers the nations of the Indian subcontinent and is taken to include Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Read more
- MAI Bulletin NOV-DEC 2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk The 2014 teaching weeks have ended. But MAI’s research activities still continue! There will be two large international conferences in November and December—Asian Cultural and Media Studies Now and Interactive Futures: Young People’s Mediated Lives in the Asia Pacific and Beyond. Please also find in this bulletin the Read more
- “Successes and Challenges: 40 Years of ASEAN-Australia Dialogue Partnership” and the launch of The Australia-ASEAN Dialogue: Tracing 40 Years of Partnership Conference Time: 8.30am – 4.45pm Date: Wednesday 3 December 2014 Venue: Theatrette, State Library of Victoria, 328 Swanston St, Melbourne (Access via Gate 3 on La Trobe St) RSVP: Click Here Book Launch Time: 6pm – 7.30pm Date: Wednesday 3 December 2014 Venue: The Courtyard, State Read more
- MAI-Bulletin-October-2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk MAI’s inaugural Research Day was very successfully held on 12 September. Around sixty people from various disciplines, schools, centres and faculties joined together and more than twenty people made a brief presentation about their research projects. It was a great occasion that showcased various researches conducted within Monash and facilitated intellectual conversation among researchers working Read more
- MAI-Bulletin-September-2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk The first MAI research day is coming closer. This will be a great occasion that showcases various research conducted within Monash and facilitates intellectual conversation among researchers. We really hope that many researchers are participating in this inaugural event on 12th September. On 18 September, MAI is organizing a screening seminar Read more
- MAI-Bulletin-August-2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk During the semester break, there were many well attended events, including a highly successful international symposium on, Asia Literacy in Practice. More will be coming in the second semester. In August. Trans-Asia as Method seminar series will reconsider the study of migration from trans-Asian perspectives. A special lecture organized by The Read more
- The International Symposium -“Asia Literacy” in practice was held on Thursday 12 June 2014 at Monash University Caulfield Campus The Symposium addressed the importance of “Asia literacy” as it has been widely discussed in Australia since the 1990s and was given renewed emphasis in the 2012 White Paper on Australia in the Asian Century. The Asia Education Foundation has been working Read more
- MAI Bulletin June 2014 From the MAI Director’s Desk On 12 June, MAI is holding a one-day international symposium, Asia Literacy in Practice. This one-day symposium will highlight the experiences of people who have been involved in practicing “Asia literacy” through their work in such fields as secondary and university education, business, craft art, activism and media. Read more
- Interactive Futures: Young People’s Mediated Lives in the Asia Pacific and Beyond-Conference Details TBAInteractive Futures: Young People’s Mediated Lives in the Asia Pacific and Beyond A conference hosted by the Consortium for Youth, Generations and Culture, Sociology, Monash University, the Griffith Centre for Cultural Research, Griffith University and support from the Monash Asia Institute This conference explores young people’s engagement with new modes of mediated communication, self‐expression and culture‐making across Read more
- “Asia Literacy” in practice Date: 12 June (Thurs) 2014 Venue: H.B39 (at Basement of Building H), Monash University Caulfield Campus The importance of “Asia literacy” has been widely discussed in Australia since the 1990s and was given renewed emphasis in the 2012 White Paper on Australia in the Asian Century. The Asia Education Foundation has been working Read more