We are a diverse and flourishing multi-lingual community of academics across the School’s disciplines: Chinese Studies, English as an International Language, French Studies, German Studies, Indonesian Studies, Italian Studies, Japanese Studies, Korean Studies, Linguistics, Literary Studies & Creative Writing, Spanish and Latin American Studies, Translation & Interpretation Studies, and Ukrainian Studies.
Our research strengths and interests cover several traditional disciplines, such as Linguistics and History, but a hallmark of our research profile is its interdisciplinary nature, combining traditional disciplines with deep knowledge regarding all aspects of the target culture or literary tradition. Our publications are spread across a wide variety of engaging topics and are featured in national and international outlets in a variety of languages, giving our intellectual impact a global reach.
Each year, we offer a dynamic program of conferences, seminars, workshops and other research events. We host many visiting scholars and our School is home to a thriving graduate research community.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you wish to explore possibilities of research collaboration or to apply for further studies in our School.
Contact the Research Coordinator
Professor Carolyn Stevens
- A video interview with Dr Marc Orlando, lecturer in translation and interpreting studies at Monash. Marc introduces his approach of “practice-informed research” in relation to his work translating the book from the ABC series The First Australians into French and his pioneering development of digital pen technology that allows the simultaneous capture of sounds and writing in an interpreting context. He considers the opportunities ... Read more
- A video interview with Dr Alice Gaby, lecturer in linguistics at Monash. Alice talks about her research in endangered languages, semaintic and structural typology, and the relationship between language, culture and cognition. https://youtu.be/PeS8k9bawpc For more information about Alice’s research and teaching, visit http://profiles.arts.monash.edu.au/alice-gaby/ Read more
- A video interview with Dr Ali Alizadeh, lecturer in creative writing at Monash. Ali talks about his research, his forthcoming book on Joan of Arc, and how it fits into his work as a whole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omGNERbf98 For more information about Ali’s research and teaching, visit http://profiles.arts.monash.edu.au/ali-alizadeh/ Read more
- Dr Christopher Watkin in the French programme at Monash serves as the series editor of Crosscurrents, an international monograph series with Edinburgh University Press. The series provides an exceptional site for bold, original and opinion-changing monographs that actively engage European thought in this fundamentally cross-disciplinary manner, riding existing crosscurrents and creating new ones. Each monograph ... Read more
- The School affiliated research centre, the Japanese Studies Centre, is the editorial home of the Routledge published journal, Japanese Studies. Professor Carolyn Stevens leads an interuniversity team of area editors to produce the fully refereed interdisciplinary journal of the JSAA (Japanese Studies Association of Australia) which publishes scholarly articles on various aspects of Japan, as well as book and film reviews. ... Read more
- The School, home to the discipline of linguistics, is pleased to announce that the ranking of Monash linguistics in the world has been improved, from 19th in the world to 17th in the world. Here is the link to 2014 ranking: http://www.topuniversities.com/node/4181/ranking-details/university-subject-rankings/2014 Congratulations to all our linguistics researchers! Read more
- Part of the privilege of working or studying at a research university is that we become integrated into a diverse and vigorous community of learning. In the spirit of fostering and celebrating our shared commitment to research in LLCL, lecturing staff and Honours students in the school come together every fortnight during semester to share short presentations about our work ... Read more
- Dr Eliana Maestri (University of Warwick) visited Melbourne recently to conduct interviews with second and third-generation Italian-Australian artists and writers as part of a research project funded by the European and EU Centre at Monash and carried out in collaboration with Associate Professor Rita Wilson in the School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics. The ... Read more
- Professor Marko Pavylyshyn, Ukrainian Studies, gives expert analysis on the evolving political situation in Ukraine: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbournes-ukrainians-feel-guarded-hope-for-homeland-20140223-33akp.html Emeritus Professor Jiri Vaclav Neustupný has been conferred the prestigious Order of the Rising Sun by the Emperor of Japan, Emperor Akihito. See the full story here. Read more
- The Centre for Writers and Writing is a centre focussed on the research and practice of writing, both creative and critical. Our centre provides a research space for the nexus between creative and critical writing, and an interface between critics and practitioners. Read more
- In LLCL we are proud to collaborate with industry, NGOs and partner universities in producing cutting-edge interdisciplinary research that addresses the most important challenges of our age. Much of our research focuses on aspects of narrative. We passionately believe that questions of narrative are at the heart of many of the social, environmental and health challenges ... Read more