We are a diverse and flourishing multi-lingual community of academics across the School’s disciplines: Chinese Studies, English as an International Language, French Studies, German Studies, Indonesian Studies, Italian Studies, Japanese Studies, Korean Studies, Linguistics, Literary Studies & Creative Writing, Spanish and Latin American Studies, Translation & Interpretation Studies, and Ukrainian Studies.
Our research strengths and interests cover several traditional disciplines, such as Linguistics and History, but a hallmark of our research profile is its interdisciplinary nature, combining traditional disciplines with deep knowledge regarding all aspects of the target culture or literary tradition. Our publications are spread across a wide variety of engaging topics and are featured in national and international outlets in a variety of languages, giving our intellectual impact a global reach.
Each year, we offer a dynamic program of conferences, seminars, workshops and other research events. We host many visiting scholars and our School is home to a thriving graduate research community.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you wish to explore possibilities of research collaboration or to apply for further studies in our School.
Contact the Research Coordinator
Dr Chris Watkin
- This interview is a continuation of Part I: Raising the political stakes with Jeanne d’Arc and Dr Ali Alizadeh. In Part II, we discuss political ... Read more
- Jeanne d’Arc (Joan of Arc)’s controversial life and death are being depicted in a comprehensive new literary work by Dr Ali Alizadeh titled The Last ... Read more
- Imagining our future: science fiction and climate change | A conversation with Emeritus Professor Andrew MilnerAs 2017 begins, we reflect on the beginnings and evolution of our ideas on utopia and dystopia today. From Star Wars to Leonardo DiCaprio’s latest ... Read more
- A humanities project. The ambition of this network is to unite academics and writers from around the world whose work focuses on the South Asian Diaspora. ... Read more
- The School, home to the discipline of linguistics, is pleased to announce that the ranking of Monash linguistics in the world has been improved, from 19th ... Read more
- Part of the privilege of working or studying at a research university is that we become integrated into a diverse and vigorous community of learning. In the ... Read more
- Dr Eliana Maestri (University of Warwick) visited Melbourne recently to conduct interviews with second and third-generation Italian-Australian artists and writers as part of a research ... Read more
- Professor Marko Pavylyshyn, Ukrainian Studies, gives expert analysis on the evolving political situation in Ukraine: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbournes-ukrainians-feel-guarded-hope-for-homeland-20140223-33akp.html Emeritus Professor Jiri Vaclav Neustupný has been conferred the prestigious Order ... Read more