How can I study a language at Monash?

There are several ways in which you can study language units (subjects) at Monash:

  1. As a unit within a Monash Arts degree, or as an elective unit within many other undergraduate degrees (e.g. Economics, Information Technology, Engineering)
  2. By enrolling in an Undergraduate Diploma in Languages, which must be taken concurrently with another undergraduate degree OR
  3. If you are a university graduate already through a Graduate Diploma in Languages or as an elective in another post-graduate degree – where permitted.
  4. As a cross-institutional unit if you are enrolled at another university and have their permission to take a language at Monash towards that degree.
  5. As a single unit (subject), available on a full-fee paying basis.

Whichever option suits your circumstances, you will be able to choose from our extensive range of language units from beginners to advanced level – we can give you a placement test to see where you fit in.  As well as language units, some disciplines also offer units related to society, culture (literature, film, theatre etc) taught in English or in the target language.

Undergraduate degrees

Languages can be taken within an Arts degree or any double degree with Arts. You can complete a major over three years, or a minor over two, or just a first year sequence. You may also be able to complete a related major taught in English in areas such as Asian studies or European studies. Most other Monash degrees allow you to take language units as electives, and in some you may be able to complete a full major. Check with the Faculty concerned for their regulations.

Diploma in Languages

The Diploma in Languages allows non-Arts students who do not have room for a language in their main undergraduate degree to complete a major (48 points – 8 semester-length units). You can enrol concurrently with any undergraduate degree at Monash or another university, either from first year, or in a subsequent year.

For example, if you take a language unit as an elective during your first year and like it, you can extend your studies by enrolling in a Diploma in Languages from your second year.
You may also be eligible to claim credit for completed units previously in your main degree towards the Diploma.

Graduate programs

You have the option of further study via:

Cross-institutional unit

If you are enrolled in a degree program at another recognised tertiary institution, you may apply to study on a Cross-institutional basis.

Single unit

This is the most flexible option – there are no particular academic prerequisites needed to apply and you can apply close to the beginning of the semester of admission. This is a good choice for those who may later wish to apply for entry to a degree course (a successful result usually aids your application) or who want to ‘try out’ university level study.