The School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics offers a wide range of research and coursework programs. Some are offered within particular programs of the School while others are available across programs.
Coursework and Research degrees are categorised separately by the university.
The School offers coursework programs for graduates looking to improve their skills in two specific areas:
- Interpreting and Translation Studies provides courses to develop students’ skills in translation/interpreting in English and another language, and their awareness of practical and theoretical approaches to translation/interpreting and translation/interpreting studies.
- Courses in Applied linguistics give students a critical understanding of theoretical and practical issues relating to applied linguistics, including training in research in the field and equip students with skills to make a significant professional contribution to the field of applied linguistics.
The School offers research degree programs at both Masters and PhD level, allowing students the opportunity to work under the supervision of outstanding researchers in many disciplines and to participate in a stimulating research community.
The School also offers two joint PhD programs with international partners: Freie Universität Berlin/Free University of Berlin and Università di Bologna/Bologna University, and a PhD program in Translation Studies.
- Arts Graduate Research programs
- How to apply
- Grants for Research Candidates
- Research Reporting day
- List of past and present HDR topics by Research Group: Linguistics | Translation and intercultural studies | Literary studies | Society, history and politics
Specific Program Information
Specific Program Information can be found at the following Program sites:
The Asian Studies Research Library (ASRL) is a specialist research collection holding a large collection of material in Chinese, Korean, Indonesian, Malay, Thai, Vietnamese and an extensive…
Study opportunities overseas
The School has a number of exchange programs with universities and research institutions in China,…
Grants for LCL research candidates and HDR support
Outline of the grants and support available to Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students in the School of Languages, Cultures & Linguistics, and HDR Support services.
Graduate studies research reporting day
What are Research Reporting Days? Each year the School holds a Research Reporting Day, at which students are asked to speak briefly to their research in a public forum.
Comments from coursework students: postgraduate/graduate
Comments from some of our postgraduate students: Sarah Pasfield-Neofitou, Mari Morofushi, Chris Burgess, Tomiko Kato, Sachiko Yasuda, Satoko Thomas, Hitoshi Mabuchi, Helen Tse, Sanae Enomoto, Itsuko Tanaka