A student with intermediate Korean language competence and majoring in Korean can participate in a Korean language intensive program at Seoul National University’s Korean Language Education Center. The students can only study units in Korean language, and not Korean studies or other areas.
The University requirement is a credit average of at least 60% in the results so far in a student’s current course, and 80% in the result of Korean Intermediate 1. In addition, students should note some restrictions. A student who is unable to enrol in Korean language units of 24 points, for example, a single degree student from another Faculty or a postgraduate student will not be eligible for this program. Please also see the answers to the questions below.
The Program runs for 10 weeks from November/December to February.
Details can be checked online at
Please note that The Faculty of Arts do NOT encourage students to complete their final semester abroad as we do NOT recommend students complete their major or minor studies while abroad.
Seoul National University’s Korean Language Education Center, Seoul.
Because students are enrolled at Seoul National University (SNU), tuition fees are paid directly to SNU instead of to Monash. Students are responsible for funding their own study abroad trips, including accommodation, living costs, etc.
- Accommodation: approx. $300~500 per month including water and electricity.
- Transport: If you live on campus, you will incur no transport costs to go to your university. If you take a train or bus, it may cost $5~10 per day.
- Meals: You may find the prices of groceries and eating out in Korea to be lower than in Melbourne. For example, buying lunch at a cafeteria at a Korean university will cost much less than doing so at Monash Campus Centre.
- Other cost: It totally depends on the student’s lifestyle, but you may not find it as expensive as you think. KOREA TOURISM ORGANIZATION website has a comparative guide to costs of some everyday consumer items: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto
Students are required to organise their own applications to SNU directly.
Once the students gain the relevant documentation from Study Abroad and the course code from the Faculty of Arts, they take their study abroad application to the Convenor of Korean Studies to gain permission, and then submit it to the Faculty of Arts.
Summary of Application Process
|1||Apply directly to SNU http://lei.snu.ac.kr/site/en/klec/regular/application.jsp|
|2||Obtain study abroad documentation from Monash Study Abroad.|
|3||Obtain unit code from Monash Faculty of ArtsASA 3XXX (18 points)|
|4||Gain approval from Coordinator of Korean Studies (Monash)|
|5||Submit documentation to your Faculty at Monash|
|6||After completion of the unit in Korea:Submit the result to the Monash Faculty of Arts. Receive SFR grade (No grade will be granted: the transcript will read SFR (Satisfied Faculty Requirements) if you pass the unit.|
Any queries related to SNU courses should be directed to SNU:
For further information contact Dr. Young A Cho: email@example.com
- What Jonathan Peng says If you’re thinking of taking that extra challenge and going on exchange to a non-English speaking country then South Korea is a perfect destination. From its traditional history to modern day K-pop, Korean culture is incredibly rich and unique. Being immersed in a completely foreign environment is an unforgettable and life changing ... Read more