As an alternative to semester-length or year-length exchange programs to Japan, Japanese language students may be able to earn 6 credit points for participating in a short-term intensive Japanese language program offered outside regular semester dates at Monash. Please note that these programs are not operated by Monash. They are operated by universities in Japan, with Monash awarding credit to students completing them under certain circumstances. To participate, you may need to apply directly to a Japanese university to participate (check instructions on the pages below). You will also need to seek approval for credit at Monash once you are accepted by the Japanese university. Credit cannot be awarded retrospectively; you must seek approval before participating in the program.
The following programs are currently recognised for credit in the Japanese studies major:
- Osaka University J-ShIP (early January – early February)
- Ochanomizu University Summer Program (July-August)
- Waseda University Short-term Japanese Program Winter Course (December-January; for current Japanese Introductory students; applications open in August)
- Ritsumeikan University Winter Japanese Program (December-January; for current Japanese Introductory/Intermediate/Proficient/Advanced students; full details available from June/July)
Applications for Osaka University J-ShIP are coordinated through Monash University. More information is available here.
Applications for other programs should be lodged directly to the host university. For more information on the application and credit approval process, click here.
If you find another intensive program that you would like to participate in, please contact us before applying to ascertain whether or not the program can be counted for credit at Monash.
Questions about the Osaka University J-ShIP program: Dr Jason Jones – email@example.com
Questions about approval of credit for other programs: Dr Jason Jones – firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about program content: Please contact the host university directly (use the links for each program on the pages above)
- Host institution Osaka University Outline J-ShIP (Japan Short-stay In-sessional Program) is a Japanese language-focused program run by Osaka University and attended by students from around the world. The program includes intensive Japanese language classes, cultural activities, and interaction with local students. A full outline of the J-ShIP program is available at: http://ex.ciee.osaka-u.ac.jp/shortstay-programs/ (click on the ‘J-ShIP’ link). Dates 5 January 2018 to ... Read more
- This information applies to intensive programs other than Osaka University J-SHiP. Information on J-ShIP is available here. Eligibility In addition to any eligibility requirements set by the host institution, to receive credit for a short-term study abroad program in Japan, you must: Have a WAM of 60.00 or over in your current course Be planning to do a major ... Read more