As an alternative to semester-length or year-length exchange programs to Japan, Japanese language students may be able to earn 6 credit points for participating in a short-term intensive Japanese language program offered outside regular semester dates at Monash. Please note that these programs are not operated by Monash. Students must apply directly to the host institution in Japan and seek approval for credit once they are accepted.
The following programs are currently recognised for credit in the Japanese studies major:
- Osaka University J-ShIP (early December – late January; application deadline 31 July 2014)
- Ochanomizu University Japanese Summer Program (2014 applications now closed)
- Waseda University Short-term Japanese Program Winter Course (December-January; for current Japanese Introductory students; applications open in August)
- Ritsumeikan University Winter Japanese Program (December-January; for current Japanese Introductory/Intermediate/Proficient/Advanced students; full details available from June/July)
Students enrolled in Japanese language units will be notified when applications for the above programs open.
Questions about approval of credit at Monash: Jeremy Breaden – E570, Building 11 (Menzies); firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about the content of the program: Please contact the host university directly (use the links for each program on the pages above)
- Tentative information only. Details to be confirmed in August/September 2014. Host institution Ritsumeikan University (Kyoto) Outline This 4-week program aims to improve academic Japanese skills through comprehensive language classes and project work. Students also have opportunities to meet Japanese people through various events. For more information, see: http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/eng/html/admissions/program_jp/rsjp-rwjp/ Dates 13 January to 13 February, 2015 Eligibility Enrolled in either Japanese intermediate 1/2 OR Japanese proficient ... Read more
- Host institution Osaka University Outline J-ShIP (Japan Short-stay In-sessional Program) is a Japanese language-focused program run by Osaka University and attended by students from around the world. The program includes intensive Japanese language classes, cultural activities, and interaction with local students. A full outline of last year’s program is available at: http://ex.isc.osaka-u.ac.jp/shortstay-programs/ (click on ‘J-ShIP’ link). (We expect Osaka University to upload ... Read more
- PLEASE NOTE: 2014 applications are now closed. The information below is provided for reference only. If the program is offered again in 2015, new application information will be released around March-April 2015. Host institution Ochanomizu University Outline This 3-week program aims to improve academic Japanese skills through comprehensive language classes and project work. Students also have opportunities to meet ... Read more