This outlines the grants and support available to Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students in the School of Languages, Cultures & Linguistics.
Grants open for applications from students:
- Field Research Support and Travel
- HDR Publication Support Scheme
- The Edith Lahr Bequest Grant for research related to Linguistics/Applied Linguistics
Prizes and awards for students:
Grants open for applications from supervisors:
Resources supplied by the School:
- Funding support for the LCL Annual Postgraduate Conference
- School research scholarships
- The School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics is pleased to offer its candidates some stationery supplies. These are available from Ms Sally Riley in room S425.
- The School of Languages, Cultures and Linguisics is pleased to offer its candidates photocopying facilities. Please see Ms Sally Riley in room S425.
- HDR Resource Centre
- The School’s HDR Resource Centre is located in room S431. Eight computers and printing facilities are available for use. As the School’s facilities are limited, the computers are for HDR School community use only. The Centre also has a lounge area, coffee and tea making facilities, a microwave and a fridge. For access to the Centre, please see Ms Sally Riley in room S425.
IT services for HDR students
- As well as your student email account, you can also get a ‘staff-like email address’ when you are enrolled as a HDR student in the School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics.
You can organise this either by logging a job using Service Desk Online http://monash.edu/esolutions/contact/ or phoning x51777.
Accessing and managing IT facilities and services
Contact eSolutions for more information on accessing and managing IT facilities and services:
Telephone: +61 3 990 51777
- Field Research Support and Travel Grants are open to application from students who will need extra funding for their field research/conference travel. Deadlines: Applications are accepted throughout the year, Funds must be expended by a set date – 2013 date TBC Conditions: Each student can only apply once during their candidature. In order to be eligible for School funds, applicants ... Read more
- This scheme provides editorial and strategic assistance in helping students prepare refereed publications. Students and their supervisors can nominate a suitable person who will be paid to carry out this service, but the School will also have a number of support officers who may be recruited to carry out this service. Deadline: Applications accepted throughout the year Funds ... Read more
- Field Research Support and Travel Grants are open to application from students whose research is related to Linguistics/Applied Linguistics and need funding for their field research or conference travel. Deadlines: Applications will be accepted throughout the year. Conditions: Awards may be granted for fieldwork and/or travel to conferences at which the student is presenting a paper. Students applying for support ... Read more
- This award is to encourage HDR students to publish in high quality outlets during their candidature and to submit these publications as part of the School’s annual publications collection. Conditions: Awards will be made to up to two HDR students who publish an outstanding piece of research in a high quality outlet. This includes books, book chapters, ... Read more
- Awards will be made to HDR students who publish in high ranking outlets during their candidature. This encourages students to publish in quality outlets, and to submit their work as part of the School’s annual publication collection. Deadline: 2013 dates TBC Conditions: Awards will be made to HDR students who publish in high quality outlets during their candidature. This ... Read more
- Number of Annual Awards: There shall be 1 award per year. Award Benefits: The award shall include a $1000 and a certificate, signed by the HOS of LCL and LCL HDR coordinator. Nomination and Selection: LCL supervisors will be invited to nominate recipients of the award. The nominee will have fulfilled the requirements for the degree and had his/her result ratified ... Read more
- Academic writing support officers (AWSO) will be employed on a casual basis to give HDR students editorial assistance. Supervisors who feel that the writing of their HDR students (for example, Non-English speaking background students) need improvement can submit their student’s writing, to be checked by an AWSO. Deadline: Applications open throughout the year, but funds must be ... Read more
- The School will offer scholarships for near-miss applicants for PhD and/or Masters by Research degrees who were ranked in the university scholarship round but were unsuccessful in securing a university or faculty award. Scholarships will be offered on the basis of merit. Conditions: Applicants must stand a strong chance of winning a scholarship in the next ... Read more