- The Japan Times featured comments from on the Abe – Abbott relationship in this 2015 article.
- Emeritus Professor Jiri Vaclav Neustupný has been conferred the highly prestigious Order of the Rising Sun by the Emperor of Japan, Emperor Akihito. See the full story here.
- Carolyn Stevens wrote an article on Yoko Ono from the Japanese Studies perspective, which appeared in The Conversation on the opening of her retrospective exhibition at Sydney’s Museum of Contemporary Art.
- The Japanese Studies Centre was featured in this photo from the Illawarra Mercury on 26 August 2013 in an article entitled ‘Social media link to Fukushima disaster studied’.
- Carolyn Stevens, Director of the JSC, was interviewed on ABC News Radio on 22 July 2013 to discuss the implications of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s return to office after the Sunday elections in Japan. Professor Stevens spoke about the low voter turn out, reminding us that this election should not be seen as a complete mandate, and noted that the media’s focus on ‘Abenomics’ had crowded out the nuclear power issue in the mainstream news. At risk with this election result is the maintenance of Japan’s Peace Constitution, Article 9, as well as relations with the Koreas, China and even the U.S.
- Shukan Gendai, a popular weekly news and entertainment magazine, published comments by Carolyn Stevens in its 8 July 2013 issue, in an article called Nihon e no Kekikoku [Advice to Japan].
- In March 2013, Jim Breen was featured in the Language Log, an active linguistics blog hosted at the University of Pennsylvania,noting some of Melbourne’s linguistic diversity.
- Comments by MCJLE Director Anne de Kretser were featured in a 12 December 2012 article in the Japan Times on Australian students and Asian language study options.
2015 Seminar Series News
Welcome to 2015! The Japanese Studies Centre monthly seminar series begins next month, and here … Continue reading 2015 Seminar Series News
PhD Seminars in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics: 24 September 2014
The Japanese Studies Centre hosted a joint completion seminar by two PhD students in the … Continue reading PhD Seminars in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics: 24 September 2014
Joint Seminar: JSC, MAI and ACMS Research Cluster 22 August 2014
Monash Asia Institute Trans-Asia As Method Seminar Series Rethinking “cultural adaptation” and “ethnic community” in the … Continue reading Joint Seminar: JSC, MAI and ACMS Research Cluster 22 August 2014
Photographs from the JSC, LLCL and SOPHIS public lecture 13 August 2014
by Professor Gregory Pflugfelder, Columbia University Gregory Pflugfelder is an Associate Professor of Japanese History … Continue reading Photographs from the JSC, LLCL and SOPHIS public lecture 13 August 2014
Sonic Japan Digital Respository
Sonic Japan Digital Repository The Repository is a new online database of sound recordings, funded … Continue reading Sonic Japan Digital Respository
Photographs from the JSC Postgraduate Seminar, 21May 2014
The Japanese Studies Centre is proud to support postgraduate research at Monash. Today’s seminar featured … Continue reading Photographs from the JSC Postgraduate Seminar, 21May 2014
Photographs from the JSC Special Seminar 14 May 2014
Members of the Japanese Studies and Translation and Interpreting Studies communities at LLCL were deeply … Continue reading Photographs from the JSC Special Seminar 14 May 2014
Photographs from 9 April Seminar: Securing Global Talent, A/Prof Nana Oishi
The Japanese Studies Centre was pleased to present this seminar in collaboration with MAI’s TransAsia … Continue reading Photographs from 9 April Seminar: Securing Global Talent, A/Prof Nana Oishi
Prof. Kayoko TAKEDA: Faculty Distinguished Visiting Scholar
LLCL’s Japanese Studies and Translation and Interpreting Studies will host a visit by Professor Takeda … Continue reading Prof. Kayoko TAKEDA: Faculty Distinguished Visiting Scholar
Seminar Series, Semester 1 2014
Japanese Studies Centre Postgraduate Seminar 21 May, 2014 Wednesday 12- 2 pm Japanese Studies Centre … Continue reading Seminar Series, Semester 1 2014
The Restoration of Rogan-en
The Japanese rock garden has just been refreshed for the new academic year. If you … Continue reading The Restoration of Rogan-en
Japan, Australia and the global context: Connections across languages and societies
A Symposium in honour of Helen Marriott.
Presented by the Japanese Studies Centre and the Language and Society Centre –
15th March, 2014
11:00 a.m. – 5:30pm