- The Japan Times featured comments from on the Abe – Abbott relationship in this 2015 article.
- Emeritus Professor Jiri Vaclav Neustupný has been conferred the highly prestigious Order of the Rising Sun by the Emperor of Japan, Emperor Akihito. See the full story here.
- Carolyn Stevens wrote an article on Yoko Ono from the Japanese Studies perspective, which appeared in The Conversation on the opening of her retrospective exhibition at Sydney’s Museum of Contemporary Art.
- The Japanese Studies Centre was featured in this photo from the Illawarra Mercury on 26 August 2013 in an article entitled ‘Social media link to Fukushima disaster studied’.
- Carolyn Stevens, Director of the JSC, was interviewed on ABC News Radio on 22 July 2013 to discuss the implications of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s return to office after the Sunday elections in Japan. Professor Stevens spoke about the low voter turn out, reminding us that this election should not be seen as a complete mandate, and noted that the media’s focus on ‘Abenomics’ had crowded out the nuclear power issue in the mainstream news. At risk with this election result is the maintenance of Japan’s Peace Constitution, Article 9, as well as relations with the Koreas, China and even the U.S.
- Shukan Gendai, a popular weekly news and entertainment magazine, published comments by Carolyn Stevens in its 8 July 2013 issue, in an article called Nihon e no Kekikoku [Advice to Japan].
- In March 2013, Jim Breen was featured in the Language Log, an active linguistics blog hosted at the University of Pennsylvania,noting some of Melbourne’s linguistic diversity.
- Comments by MCJLE Director Anne de Kretser were featured in a 12 December 2012 article in the Japan Times on Australian students and Asian language study options.
Photographs from the 15 October 2015 Seminar
Members of the Japanese studies community were treated to a historical adventure when Dr. Adam … Continue reading Photographs from the 15 October 2015 Seminar
Japanese Studies Centre Postgraduate Symposium Success
Exploring Japan through New Lenses: Emerging Themes in Japanese Studies. With a Keynote by Professor … Continue reading Japanese Studies Centre Postgraduate Symposium Success
Photos from the 12 August 2015 Seminar
On this day, Dr. Naomi Kurata from Monash spoke to us about her ongoing research on … Continue reading Photos from the 12 August 2015 Seminar
Vale J.V. Neustupný
A funeral for Professor Neustupný, co-founder of the Japanese Studies Centre and Foundation Professor of Japanese Studies … Continue reading Vale J.V. Neustupný
Photos from Vera Mackie’s Memoirs of Reproductive Travel: Making Sense of Family Across Borders, 23 July 2015
Memoirs of Reproductive Travel: Making Sense of Family Across Borders Vera Mackie University of … Continue reading Photos from Vera Mackie’s Memoirs of Reproductive Travel: Making Sense of Family Across Borders, 23 July 2015
13 May 2015 JSC Seminar: Cassandra Atherton’s “Give Back Peace That Will Never End: Hibakusha Poets as Public Intellectuals”
The Japanese Studies Centre community welcomed our new affiliate from Deakin University, Dr. Cassandra Atherton, … Continue reading 13 May 2015 JSC Seminar: Cassandra Atherton’s “Give Back Peace That Will Never End: Hibakusha Poets as Public Intellectuals”
Photos from the 15 April 2015 JSC Seminar
Our April seminar featured new research from our newest staff member, Dr. Jason Jones. His … Continue reading Photos from the 15 April 2015 JSC Seminar
18 March 2015 JSC Seminar Photos
On 18 March 2015, members of the LLCL community and others gathered to hear about … Continue reading 18 March 2015 JSC Seminar Photos
PhD Seminars in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics: 24 September 2014
The Japanese Studies Centre hosted a joint completion seminar by two PhD students in the … Continue reading PhD Seminars in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics: 24 September 2014
Joint Seminar: JSC, MAI and ACMS Research Cluster 22 August 2014
Monash Asia Institute Trans-Asia As Method Seminar Series Rethinking “cultural adaptation” and “ethnic community” in the … Continue reading Joint Seminar: JSC, MAI and ACMS Research Cluster 22 August 2014
Photographs from the JSC, LLCL and SOPHIS public lecture 13 August 2014
by Professor Gregory Pflugfelder, Columbia University Gregory Pflugfelder is an Associate Professor of Japanese History … Continue reading Photographs from the JSC, LLCL and SOPHIS public lecture 13 August 2014
Sonic Japan Digital Respository
Sonic Japan Digital Repository The Repository is a new online database of sound recordings, funded … Continue reading Sonic Japan Digital Respository