Whether you are beginning Italian or continuing at post-VCE level, the greater the exposure to the language the greater your progress will be: maybe you’re not ready yet for the richness of Italian literature, or for reading an article in a magazine or newspaper, but there are many ways of increasing your exposure to Italian without feeling unduly threatened or stressed. Just listening to songs, for example, will give you a feel for the sounds of the language. So here’s some information about where materials are available.
TV & Video
- “Italianissimo” (BBC beginner course) – available from Main Library multimedia section, with audiotapes and textbook, for use in library only.
- Telegiornale italiano – weekdays at 7.00 am; SBS Television broadcasts Italian news daily and Italia news on Sundays.
- Check the Age Green Guide for Italian films, soaps, documentaries.
- A small collection of films is available for viewing in the Library.
- A WORD ON SUBTITLES: Cover them! (tape a bit of paper to the screen). At first you may lack the courage, but at least do it for a while. Watch, rewind, watch again (some brief segments at least!).
- NO VCR? NO PROBLEM: the School’s Language Centre is setting up VCR/monitor posts for students.
- Italian TV programs may be received directly from Italy by satellite with a suitable dish or subscribing to Optus cable TV or Foxtel at a moderate monthly cost.
- SBS 1224 kHz (check programme guide)
- RG 1593 kHz RETE ITALIA
- ZZZ 92.3 MHz MULTICULTURAL RADIO (Italian programme times vary)
- SBS 93.1 Mhz (Italian: 8.00am to 9.00 am and 6.00pm to 7.00pm Monday to Sunday)
- The School Library has copies of magazines and newspapers, as well as books and dictionaries.
- Main Library – check Italy, Italian on the electronic catalogues.
- The language Centre has multiple copies of some language courses. Tapes relating to some language courses may be available from the General Office – check with your unit coordinator.
Attendance Regular attendance at lectures and tutorials, particularly language acquisition classes where continuity is crucial … Continue reading General Information
Presentation of Written Work
All major essays should be submitted with a School assignment cover sheet.(Assignment cover sheets can … Continue reading Presentation of Written Work
Policy on Submission of Assignments
Students are required to hand in essays and homework by the due date. All essays and homework must be placed in the appropriate essay-boxes or handed directly to tutors.
The Joseph Gioscio Italian Scholarship is offered to a third or fourth year student of … Continue reading Scholarships