Researcher Profile: Dr James Roffee
Project Title: Monash Social Sciences LGBTIQ Community Violence Team
Brief description of the research project:
Background- Monash Social Sciences has community engaged scholars whose research is focused in the field of improving responses to violence against members of the LGBTIQ community. The research will be used to inform scholarly debate, policy development and implementation, public understanding of violence against members of the LGBTIQ community and responses to this.
Project – In 2015, a small-scale pilot study was conducted in Australia to explore LGBTIQ+, questioning and non-binary gender students’ experience of violence, harassment and discrimination. While plenty of research has been conducted elsewhere in the world, little to no research has been conducted in Australia on crime, harassment and victimisation of LGBTIQ youth.
The research is supported by the Faculty of Arts seed project fund and intends to build on this pilot study by continuing to collate and understand how LGBTIQ+, questioning and non-binary gender people challenge, develop or extend understandings of gender and sexuality in the reconfiguration of everyday lives regarding the normalisation and use of physical and social spaces.
- Assist in the drafting of a Report on the findings of research project
- Prepare research briefs and papers summarising research findings, and innovative ways of translating research
- Assist in the coordination of a ‘community symposium’ event being held in early 2017
- Assist in the preparation of research and advocacy focused communication materials such as website blogs and social media posts
- Assist with the management of electronic files and knowledge management
- Other tasks as required to support the project
Required Skills/Personal Qualities:
- Strong research skills including research experience in the fields of criminology or social science (and /or LGBTIQ issues)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creativity and innovative thinking
- Planning, organisation and time management skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel and use of social media
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Able to show initiative and work without close supervision
- A demonstrated interest in the project topic
- Availability to work on a regular basis
Work Location: Clayton Campus
Estimated hours: 144 hours
Student Type: Undergraduate or Postgraduate
Approximate start date: November 2016 (flexible)
Available Places: 1
WIL Internship Information sessions
Did you know you can take an internship as part of your studies? To find out more, come to one of our information sessions in April and May.
Latin American migrants in Australia
We are analysing demographic patterns in Latin American migration to Australia.
Meditation and body awareness
To review research and run study on the effect of meditation on body awareness
Youth in the Current European ‘Migration Crisis’
The intern will serve as a research assistant, gathering and collating documents and images
The Origins of the Concept of Hate Speech
The intern will provide research assistance helping to lay some of the groundwork for this piece of research.
This research project aims to understand the processes of social integration and the means by which a migrant comes to feel
Gender and Freedom of Association in Post-War Sri Lanka
Monash Gender & Peace Security (GPS) is a group of policy and community engaged scholars whose research
Bright ideas at the Arts Delineator: encouraging start-ups and entrepreneurship
There was a real creative buzz in the room at today’s ‘Delineator’ session at Monash Arts, a 3-hour workshop facilitating start-up and entrepreneurship ideas.
PR and Communications Intern at Haystac
Gain some valuable work-experience in the area of public relations and communication with a leading marketing communications agency
Dedicated Postgraduate Internships area
The Faculty of Arts has committed to provide a premium experience for postgraduate students undertaking … Continue reading Dedicated Postgraduate Internships area
Faculty of Arts has active agreements with the following organisations for Student Internships