The Joint Inspection Unit (JIU), the only independent external oversight body of the United Nations system mandated to conduct evaluations, inspections and investigations system-wide, is currently accepting applications for research internships with the Unit from candidates who can intern for a period of 3-6 months (6 months preferred) from mid-January or February 2017 onwards. Candidates interested in starting an internship in mid-July / early August 2017 are also encouraged to apply as the JIU accepts applications on a year round rolling basis.
For more information on the JIU, including access to all reports published by the Unit please visit www.unjiu.org
For more information on the JIU internship programme, please visit https://www.unjiu.org/en/get-involved/Pages/Internships.aspx
Description of general internship duties
In view of his/her professional development, under the direct supervision of an Evaluation and Inspection Officer (EIO) and under the guidance of an Inspector, the intern will be assigned to support a review team. He/she will be tasked to undertake in-depth desk research, analysis and data collection, assist in the preparation of inception papers, questionnaires, interview guides and surveys, organize and analyze information received and prepare the relevant analytical outputs, participate in interviews and video-conferences as note-taker, provide logistical support in preparation for missions and interviews and assist in support tasks related to the preparation of the review findings.
Eligibility requirements + conditions of the JIU internship programme
– In line with the UN Administrative Instruction on internships (ST/AI/2014/1, 13 January 2014) candidates must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
– Advanced qualitative and quantitative desk (web-based) research skills, preferably at the graduate level;
– Fluency in oral and written English including experience in drafting research papers in English independently; knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an advantage;
– As per UN Secretariat policy, all internships are unpaid and no benefits are provided whatsoever;
– Availability to commit to a full-time internship (40 hours a week);
– All materials to which interns have access to during the course of their internship are treated as confidential and cannot be shared outside the JIU; subsequently, interns cannot base their thesis on topics that they had worked on as part of their JIU Internship; nor can they use information received for personal publications, blogs etc.
All incoming interns are issued with a Terms of Reference prior to the start of their internship that outlines their specific work responsibilities. Upon completion of the internship, interns receive an attestation letter outlining their outputs and an assessment of their performance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email the following documents to JIUInternships@unog.ch
1) A completed copy of the JIU internship application
Please be sure to indicate the exact availability dates i.e. start and end date as well as current contact information including telephone number and skype id name in case the candidate is short-listed for an interview.
2) A sample research paper that best reflects the candidate’s writing skills on any topic drafted in English as part of undergraduate or graduate coursework (not a collective group paper nor one edited by someone else).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Eligibility for Course Credit
1. The students should meet the eligibility criteria to enrol in ATS3130 Arts International Internship (12CP) unit (completed 96 CP and have a distinction average)
2. Check with Arts Student services if you have room in your degree for this unit.
Scholarships and Funding
All students (domestic and international) will be eligible for $900 Monash Abroad Travel bursary plus travel insurance.
Domestic students are eligible for interest free government loan (like HECS) of upto $7,500 through OS-HELP.
Scholarships: See details here
Pollinate Energy Fellowship Program – India
Applications now open for Winter Semester 2018! Exciting opportunities available to gain experience in social business models and environmentally sustainable solutions.
Victoria India Internship Program
Internships available in June/July 2018
Intern at RedR
RedR Australia is a leading humanitarian agency for international emergency relief. They provide skilled people … Continue reading Intern at RedR
Intern at International Women’s Development Agency (IWDA)
Would you be interested to intern at International Women’s Development Agency (IWDA)? IWDA are welcoming … Continue reading Intern at International Women’s Development Agency (IWDA)
Intern at Mission Australia
Mission Australia services empower young people, support families and children and also help people to … Continue reading Intern at Mission Australia
Intern at Consular Corps Melbourne
In association with The University of Melbourne, RMIT and Monash University the Consular Corps offers … Continue reading Intern at Consular Corps Melbourne
Intern at UNAA Victoria
We provide opportunities for current tertiary students to undertake internships. These are timed to coincide … Continue reading Intern at UNAA Victoria
The Children’s Bioethics Centre (Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne)- Clinical Ethics Internship
Recommended Disciplines: Master of Bioethics
Lawyers Without Borders Internships in USA
Opportunities now open in New haven CT and Washington DC (USA)
VECCI Internship Program
Student interns are required to undertake up to 120 hours of paid employment
Monash Industry Team Initiative (MITI)
Multidisciplinary student teams from Monash University with leading Australian and global industry partners.
More External Projects…
Australian Volunteers International See their current list of all assignments here. Aurora Native Title Internship … Continue reading More External Projects…