1. What is an internship?
An internship is a work experience opportunity wherein students are placed with a partner organisation to undertake a project. The students are required to enrol in an internship unit in order to undertake internships offered by Monash Arts Faculty.
2. Why can’t I enrol in the internship unit on WES?
Most internship units need unit coordinator approval before you can enrol in an internship unit. After approval students are enrolled in the unit manually by Arts Student Services.
3. How do I enrol in ATS3129/ATS3130/APG5044?
You need to apply for a project that is being advertised and get selected in order to enrol in this unit. See Current Projects
4. Where can I get assistance with my application?
Monash Career Connect can assist students to prepare:
- a resume,
- an application,
- for an interview, etc.
See their website for more information
5. Are there any eligibility requirements?
Most internship units have eligibility criteria. Please check the handbook and individual projects for details.
6. I’m doing a double degree and have a credit average but have a distinction average for my Arts component. Can I still apply?
Yes, we will consider only the Arts component for the distinction average.
7. I don’t have a distinction average. Can I apply for an internship project?
Special consideration will be given to students who would make a genuine case for difficult circumstances. You would need a minimum of credit average and would be given last preference.
8. Do I have room in my degree for the internship?
Most Internship units are course elective units. If students are interested in doing an internship they should choose their electives wisely in first and second year to ensure they have room. See a course adviser at Arts Student Services for more details.
9. Can I count ATS3129/3130 towards my major?
You would need the approval from the major coordinator to have the internship unit counted towards your major. Complete this Form.
If you are major is Ancient History, History, Human Rights, International studies, Philosophy or Religious Studies complete this additional form.
10. Can I do an internship with an organisation not on the current partners list?
Monash has certain requirements that should be met by the host organisation in order for students to undertake an internship for credit. If you are interested in an internship at an organisation not on the list contact the WIL Arts Team to explore partnership options.
11. What details do I have to provide if I have identified an internship opportunity and want to apply to have it approved?
For a self-sourced internship to be approved you need to have the following:
12. Can I get academic credit for an internship I completed recently?
No. You should have contacted the professional placements manager before the start of the internship to explore your options.
13. I’m an exchange/study abroad student at Monash. Can I enrol in ATS3129/3130 or APG5044?
Unfortunately NO. It is available to only Monash students. A Monash student from South Africa or Malaysia campus studying in Australia is eligible.
14. Does Monash cover me for insurance to undertake an internship if ‘not for credit’?
Students and the host will need to complete the following course-related placement proposal forms and email signed scanned copies back to Monash University Career Connect office. Please allow a minimum of ten working-days for insurance coverage to be sent.
- Insurance form for course-related placements – host details
- Insurance form for course-related placements – student application
- Fact Sheet – Fair Work Ombudsman.