CARE is an international humanitarian aid organisation fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organisation, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief.
For almost 30 years, CARE Australia has earned an international reputation for our ability to respond quickly to emergency situations in areas as diverse as Nepal, Vanuatu and East Africa. We are also renowned for our innovative, sustainable and effective long-term development projects. All our projects are designed to equip the people we support with skills and resources so they can take charge of their lives and work towards a better future.
CARE Australia is directly responsible for program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, as well as management and contractual control of all projects. As a consequence, we have a high degree of accountability and transparency. CARE Australia is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas we work around the world.
About the Department
CARE’s Fundraising, Digital and Campaigns (FDC) Department is collectively responsible for ensuring that the organisation maintains a visible, engaging presence in the community, and that our profile is leveraged to garner financial and other support from the Australian public and private sector.
The Campaigns and Brand team is responsible for managing and optimising CARE Australia’s reputation and public profile through the sustained and strategic use of campaigns, public relations, events and communications. The Campaigns and Brand team also contributes to the success of fundraising and corporate engagement programs by raising public awareness about the development issues CARE Australia works to address in some of the poorest and least developed countries in the world.
At all times, the Campaigns and Brand team works to ensure that we represent the people who participate in our development projects with dignity.
About the Media and Communications Internship Role
The Media and Communications intern will provide support to the Campaigns and Brand team with writing, editing, campaigns and general media/communications support, including media pitching, primarily for the Walk in Her Shoes October 2016 campaign. Walk in Her Shoes is CARE Australia’s biggest annual fundraising campaign, running from 10 – 23 October 2016.
The campaign aims to raise funds to support CARE Australia’s vital projects that help reduce the distance women and girls have to walk by providing clean water and nutritious food close to home. The Media and Communications Intern will assist CARE’s Media Team to find interesting participant stories, which they will then help pitch to relevant media outlets.
- Locating and profiling participant stories for the Walk in Her Shoes October 2016 campaign 10 – 23 October 2016.
- Working with suburban and regional media to generate Walk in Her Shoes media coverage.
- Support to Senior Media Advisor, Media Advisor and Community Engagement Coordinator with other Walk in Her Shoes media activities.
- Update CARE’s media contact lists.
- Monitor key news sites and social media channels on issues relevant to CARE’s work.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to create and foster relationships with external organisations and media whilst maintaining the reputation of CARE.
- Ability to speak confidently and be comfortable pitching stories.
- An understanding of media and PR campaigns.
- Strong computer skills, with the ability to quickly adapt to unfamiliar programs and systems.
- Ability to respond effectively and flexibly to challenges, work cooperatively in a small, busy and diverse team environment with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated initiative, ability to determine priorities and organise work to meet deadlines.
Timing and duration
Commencing in Semester 2, 2016 the students are required to do a minimum 144 hours. Days of work are negotiable.
- You should meet the eligibility criteria for, and be able to enrol in ATS3129 Arts International Internship (completed 96 CP and have a distinction average).
- You should have checked with Arts Student Services to ensure you have room in your degree for this 12 CP unit.
Go to the Application form and submit your cover letter and resume by Sunday 31st July In your cover letter, you should address the selection criteria listed above.
Shortlisted candidates shall be invited for an interview.
The Lab Strategy – Cultural Mapping and Brand Strategy
Intake: Summer B – 2 Jan to 9 February (3 days a week) Eligible students: Any Graduate … Continue reading The Lab Strategy – Cultural Mapping and Brand Strategy
The Lab Strategy – Cultural Mapping and Brand Strategy
Monash Professional Pathways – Multi-Media Resource Development Assistant (Summer B)
Monash Professional Pathways assists graduates to transition to the workplace by providing job readiness programs, … Continue reading Monash Professional Pathways – Multi-Media Resource Development Assistant (Summer B)
Ovarian Cancer Internship Summer B
MA Media and Communications
Ovarian Cancer Australia Internships Summer B
Undergraduate of all disciplines, MA Media and Communications
ATS3948 Editorial Intern For Cordite Poetry Review
Intake: Summer A Eligible Student cohort: 1) Students should meet the requirements to enrol in … Continue reading ATS3948 Editorial Intern For Cordite Poetry Review
EY (Ernst and Young)- Internship Program
MA Environmental Management and Sustainability and MA International Development Practice
Melbourne Water Internship
Masters of Environmental Management and Sustainability & Master of Environment and Sustainability
Monash College – Communications/Multimedia Internship
Master of Communications and Media Studies
Monash Sustainable Development Institute – RISE program – Communications Internship (Summer B)
MA Media and Communications, MA Environmental Management and Sustainability & MA International Development Practice.
Monash University Faculty of Arts – Media & Communications Intern (Summer B)
Master of Communications & Media Studies
Digital Marketing Associate Internship at SOLBARI (Summer B)
Recommended Disciplines: Master of Communications & Media Studies