Aim of Industry Advisory Board
Monash University is committed to working with industry, business, government, and the community sector to find innovative solutions to today’s problems. We recognise the importance of building strong and mutually beneficial relationships with our external partners. These relationships enhance the quality and relevance of our programs and our research capabilities, build a shared knowledge base, and deliver solutions to our partners.
Industry Advisory Boards are comprised of accomplished experts offering innovative advice and dynamic perspectives. Meeting biannually, boards can provide strategic direction, guide quality improvement, and assess program effectiveness. Members bring a diverse range of knowledge, skills and abilities to inform ongoing program development.
Advisory boards can play an important role in assessment and in improving academic curricula. Student learning outcomes and curricula that reflect community needs and employer expectations can prepare students to succeed as professionals.
Key contributions from Industry Advisory Board members and their organizations include any of the following:
- Contribute to body of knowledge within the discipline and leverage this knowledge for impact/advice on course design and development of strategic documents (e.g., mission statement, program educational objectives, timely knowledge about trends).
- Evaluation of achievement of the program educational objectives.
- Sponsorship of projects and graduate research.
- Giving guest lectures and seminars in courses.
- Engagement with students as interns and/or graduates as full-time employees.
- Participation in academic and social functions (e.g., seminar series, research presentations, student competitions, scholarships and prizes events).
- Nomination of additional Advisory Board members.
Benefits of board membership
Benefits for Industry Advisory Board members and their organizations include:
- Advice on course design to enable students to acquire knowledge, skills and attitudes relevant to industry expectations and requirements.
- Access to our best students, through screened student recruiting and company internships.
- Invitations to participate in career fairs and other recruiting events.
- Opportunities to attend School, Faculty and university-wide functions and collaboration with staff.
- Appointment with Monash University as an Industry Fellow that allows having access to Monash email, library and other resources.
- Research support for your company’s projects through graduate student sponsorships.
- Opportunities for close association with staff, for example through teaching and research collaborations.
- Networking opportunities with other board members.
Terms of appointment
Terms of appointment to Industry Advisory Boards are two years with a maximum consecutive period of membership of six years.