- Download brochure: Master of Cultural Economy (PDF)
- Handbook entry: Master of Cultural Economy
- Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder
The Master of Cultural Economy is Australia’s most innovative postgraduate program designed to prepare you for careers in a range of employment areas where culture, economy and policy intersect.
In the past decade, cities and national governments have placed culture at the centre of their development agendas. They have invested in multimillion dollar art museums and promoted creative industries as part of their innovation and research and development strategies. Local communities have also looked to arts and culture for a sense of identity, resilience and new forms of employment. International agencies such as UNESCO are strongly promoting the cultural and creative economy as a key element of sustainable development across the ‘Global South’.
Special features of the course
In Australia and internationally, individuals are seeking employment, fulfillment and a sense of community engagement through diverse forms of participation in this cultural economy. They are finding work as freelancers or they set up as small commercial and not-for-profit businesses; they work with corporate, publicly funded, charitable and community entities; they work in urban, suburban and rural settings, and across developing, emerging and developed economies.
This cultural economy is complex and diverse, where cultural and economic dynamics combine in ways that transgress traditional disciplinary and policy boundaries. New career paths are emerging across industries, policy bodies and communities where traditional approaches to ‘creative entrepreneurship’ and ‘arts and cultural management’ become simplistic and inflexible.
The MCE provides a broad guide to this cultural economy as well as the detailed individual road maps needed to achieve your ambitions within it. It will:
- provide essential background and orientation through this complex field
- provide up to date knowledge with a focus upon current industry, policy and community developments
- emphasise critical learning that allows students to reflect on individual current practices and aspirations
- facilitate concrete and collaborative project work to test new knowledge and skills.
The MCE is suitable for:
- those working or looking to work in the independent arts and creative/cultural industries
- professionals working within cultural policy and governance
- practitioners and activists working within communities to promote cultural economic development in a variety of circumstances
- international students who seek to further their understanding of the creative industries, arts-led regeneration, cultural clusters, creative city branding and similar developments.
- it is a program taught by experts who are global leaders in industry, government and academic research in the cultural industries, and who have worked in many different countries
- it is interdisciplinary and collaborative: students learn through concrete research and project work
- it is based at the heart of Australia’s cultural capital, Melbourne, providing a rich context for fieldwork study
- strong global links: opportunities exist for students to undertake international fieldwork and coursework as part of their studies
- strategic industry links: students participate in industry fieldwork as part of their studies.
Submit an enquiry: https://register.monash.edu.au/enquiry
Phone: 1800 MONASH (666 274)
New Masters Programs 2014
Master of Cultural Economy The Master of Cultural Economy is Australia’s most innovative postgraduate program…
Master of Applied Linguistics
Handbook entry: Master of Applied Linguistics 2014 Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder The Master…
Master of Bioethics
Handbook entry: Master of Bioethics 2014 Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder Visit the Centre…
Master of Communications and Media Studies
Handbook entry: Master of Communications and Media Studies 2014 Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder…
Master of Counter-Terrorism Studies
Handbook entry: Master of Counter-Terrorism Studies 2014 Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder Visit the…
Master of European and International Studies
Handbook entry: Master of European and International Studies 2014 Visit the Monash European and EU…
Master of International Crisis Management
Handbook entry: Master of International Crisis Management 2014 The Master of International Crisis Management aims…
Master of International Development Practice
Download brochure: Master of International Development Practice (PDF) Handbook entry: Master of International Development Practice Fees…
Master of International Relations
Handbook entry: Master of International Relations 2014 Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder Our world…
Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management
Handbook entry: Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder Visit…
Master of Interpreting and Translation Studies
Handbook entry: Master of Interpreting and Translation Studies 2014 Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder…
Master of Journalism
Handbook entry: Master of Journalism 2014 Fees and entry requirements: Course Finder Visit the Journalism…