The Global Connections and Violence (GCV) Focus Program is an interdisciplinary initiative designed to bring together researchers, both faculty and postgraduate, from Monash, Yale, and other institutions. It aims to advance collaborative research on networks of free and unfree movement; circuits of trade, diplomacy, and violence; and contested spaces and territories. While a process broadly labelled as globalization opened up new possibilities for contact and communication from from the early modern period, it also created contradictory and contested spaces and circuits. The GCV Focus program is concerned both with armed conflict and violence, but also with the difficult spaces opened up by global connections and with the effects on individuals and groups caught up in burgeoning networks of free and unfree movement. By understanding the complex effects of global movement and statis, the project’s researchers aim to address their challenging legacies.
- Earlier this month, Associate Professor Crystal Feimster, a renowned scholar from Yale University and a visiting professor for the Global Connections and Violence Focus program ... Read more
- As part of the Global Connections and Violence Focus Program, Associate Professor Adam Clulow has received an American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Collaborative Research ... Read more
- At our conference ‘Historians without Borders: The Use and Abuse of History in Conflicts’ the International Network of Historians without Borders was established and a ... Read more
- In May 2016, Professor Christina Twomey attended the preliminary meeting in Helsinki of a new international network, Historians Without Borders. Initiated by the former Finnish ... Read more
- Professor Donald Bloxham, University of Edinburgh, is keynote speaker at the Symposium presented by the Genocide, Conflict and Violence Focus Program – The Ethics of ... Read more
Photographs © Bart Michiels, from The Course of History (Damiani, 2013). Used with permission. All rights reserved. http://www.bartmichiels.com/