For students interested in topics as diverse as climatology, land and vegetation management, international development, sustainable cities, and social justice, we offer everything from exciting undergraduate elective classes to doctoral research supervision.
Find out more:
Undergradute: We offer everything from elective units open to the whole university to minor and major areas of study in the BA and BSc programs.
Honours: An opportunity for research training during an additional year of undergraduate study, with close supervision of an independent thesis project. Available in the BA Hons and BSc Hons programs.
Masters Coursework: Build your professional qualifications with a masters degree, including an optional internship or thesis for high performers. Three streams are available:
- Environment and Governance
- Corporate Environmental and Sustainability Management
- International Development and Environmental Analysis
- Details: Masters in Sustainability
Research (MA, MEnvSc, PhD): Advanced research training in the graduate research program on ‘Geography, Environment, and Sustainability’.
- Find out about our Postgraduate Students
- The information session for the 2015 field trip will take place Friday 15th August at 2pm-3pm in E457 Menzies. The unit,”Field Studies in Regional Sustainability: South Africa” (ATS3553 / APG4553), aims to sharpen the analytical abilities of students between levels 3 and 5 who wish to pursue careers in environmental policy, urban and regional planning, and international ... Read more
- Ian Fenton is a recent graduate of the MIDEA program (now incorporated into the Master of Sustainability) and has been working in Sofala Province, Mozambique with Allan Schwarz, founder of the Mezembite Forest Centre since February 2013. Since joining Mezembite, Ian has worked on agroforestry projects and is currently responsible for restoring and managing oil production ... Read more
- Earlier this year, the School held its annual Awards Night at the Royal Society of Victoria. The keynote speech was given by Dr. Merna McKenzie. Celebrations followed at the Coopers Inn. The 2013 prize winners, for their achievements during the 2012 academic year, were: 2013 First Year Academic Excellence Award 1st Prize – Josephine DeCosta 2nd Prize – ... Read more
- Exciting opportunities are available currently for Monash Arts students to gain some valuable work-experience with the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure . The projects include journey-to-work analyses, snapshots of indigenous communities in transportation corridors, regional economic profiles, and a Bendigo integrated land use study. Please submit an updated resume along with a cover letter ... Read more
- A new and exciting unit will be added to the School of Geography and Environmental Science in 2013 at both a 3rd and 4th year level titled “Geopolitics of Climate Change.” The unit will be offered during second semester . For more information about the unit, please visit the unit handbook entry. Read More... Read more
- The School offers undergraduate prizes in recognition of academic achievements of students in Geography. At each level from 1st to 3rd years there are both a major prize and Certificates of Academic Excellence. At Honours level the J.S. Duncan Award is granted for the best thesis in that year. The 3rd year Howard Brown Prize for Top ... Read more
- The School offers postgraduate prizes in recognition of academic achievements of students in Geography. Best environmental essay (Howard Brown Prize) $250.00 and a certificate Best PG internship project of the year $250.00 and a certificate Criteria: A combination of difficulty and creativity, feedback from the host organisation, and quality of analysis and presentation of the student’s final report. Open to ... Read more
- First Year Howard Brown Prize: Mr Chuan Yeap Academic Excellence Prizes: Ms Amanda Cohen and Ms Jasmine Thom Second Year Jim Peterson Prize: Mrs Erika Duncan-Horner Academic Excellence Prizes: Mr Adam Hourigan and Mr Gian Chakravorty Third Year Chris Maher Prize: Ms Sylvia Tawfik Academic Excellence Prizes: Ms Emma Palmer and Mr William Candish Honours J.S. Duncan Prize: Ms Caitlin Moore Other Best Environmental Essay Howard Brown Prizes: Mr Stephen Stewart Best PG internship project of the ... Read more
- First Year Howard Brown Prize: Ms Nicola Dunn Academic Excellence Prizes: Ms Stephanie Schlipper and Mr Matthew Bell Second Year Jim Peterson Prize: Ms Tiffany Harrison Academic Excellence Prizes: Ms Sylvia Tawfik and Ms Jennifer Morris Third Year Chris Maher Prize: Ms Tricia Watts Academic Excellence Prizes: Ms Lucy Farrar, Ms Emma White and Mr Christopher Varney Honours J.S. Duncan Prize: Mr Stephen Balharrie Other Best Environmental Essay Howard Brown Prizes: Mr John Downie and ... Read more