Welcome to the website of the School of Geography and Environmental Science at Monash University.
Our School is one of the largest and most active geography schools in the country. We teach both at undergraduate level (primarily, for the Faculties of Science and Arts) and at postgraduate level. All of our teaching reflects a concern with the sustainability and resilience of the human occupation and stewardship of the Earth’s environments.
Find Out More:
- Byron Pakula graduated from our MIDEA program (now part of the Masters of Sustainability) in 2005. He is currently based in Jordan as Country Director for ACTED (a French NGO) to help with the Syrian refugee crisis. He recently worked on food security in South Sudan. Before that, he spent two years in Kyrgyzstan working ... Read more
- Final Call for Papers Journal Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions Special Issue “Transitions Through a Lens of Urban Water” We invite contributions to a special issue on transitions from an urban water perspective. The urban water sector seems to have ideal characteristics to be a model system for transitions studies. Urban water systems combine ecological, technological and social aspects ... Read more
- A team of our physical geographers, including Dr. Margaret Loughnan, Prof. Nigel Tapper, Dr. Thu Phan and Ms. Kellie Lynch were involved in writing a report for The National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF) entitled ‘A spatial vulnerability analysis of urban populations during extreme heat events in Australian capital cities.’ The abstract is below and the full ... Read more
- Dr. Wendy Stubbs, a sustainability expert and senior lecturer in Geography and Environmental Science, has recently been recognised by the Monash Postgraduate Association with the award of ‘Postgraduate Lecturer of the Year’. For more details please see the following link: http://www.monash.edu.au/news/show/excellence-in-postgraduate-teaching-recognised-with-new-award Warmest congratulations to Wendy on this well-deserved recognition! Read more
- Dr. Vanessa Wong was recently awarded the Australian Society of Soil Science 2012 Publication Medal. Vanessa’s award recognised the quality and contribution of the following paper: Wong, V.N.L., Johnston, S.G., Burton, E.D., Bush, R.T., Sullivan, L.A. and Slavich, P.G. (2010) Seawater causes rapid trace metal mobilisation in coastal lowland acid sulfate soils: Implications of sea level rise for water ... Read more
- PhD student and archaeologist Daniel James from Monash University’s School of Geography and Environmental Science has been awarded the 2012 George Chaloupka Fellowship, an initiative of the Museum and Art Gallery of the NT (MAGNT) Foundation, which is sponsored by Energy Resources of Australia. The support of ERA is gratefully acknowledged. The Fellowship provides support ... Read more
- The School of Geography and Environmental Science (GES) ranked No.1 in the Group of Eight in the most recent benchmarking exercise, which assessed data for 2010 in relation to research income, Higher Degree Research (HDR) load, HDR completions and publication outputs. GES has once again improved its ranking. By the CPM measure that scales performance across ... Read more
- The school of Geography and Environmental Science achieved an outstanding result in the most recent round of ARC grants. The Arts Faculty is first in the country for DORAs and 2nd overall for our Discovery performance. For details on all successful projects you can visit the ARC website: Discovery Projects Funding Outcomes DECRA Funding Outcomes Discovery Projects Funding Outcomes Prof. Jason ... Read more